Turbo Re-building / Seal identification

Alright,

What I have is a 280zx turbo L28ET setup.

The seals/bearings are going to have to be replaced on the Turbo itself , and I have yet to get it apart to make sure it's indeed rebuild-able.

No housing contact on compressor side , and yet to see what the turbine side looks like.

A few pictures of the turbo in question.

Entire turbo-charger assembly

zcarprogress62213055_zps4c2f7f72.jpg

"AiResearch TO4" compressor housing.

Zcarprogress62013261_zps0b325fb9.jpg

Turbo down pipe (notice flange style).

zcarprogress62213054_zps7fa9a891.jpg

According to Hybridz.org ... it is a stocker T3 flange / T04 turbo and nothing special.

Although mine does say "AiResearch" on the compressor housing , so I just to double check that it is what it is said to be.

A few on hybridz have previously stated that Nissan used these as "stock" turbo setups from the factory.

It's all stated it could be a RaJay type ol-school turbo.

I've contacted G-pop shop as well and am waiting for them to get back to me on parts compatability :) .

It "appears" my options are as follows in case any one option doesn't workout (any relevant input here is appreciated).

*Swap on my other known good turbo to this engine and call it good.

*Rebuild this existing turbo in-question.. if parts are available (not entirely sure at this point) Although they "appear" to be standard parts.

*Buy an already rebuilt stock L28ET turbocharger from TurboCity.com for around $360 ? (I'll have to look again) No warranty available.

*Buy a cheap ebay T3/T04 turbocharger ... have a custom down-pipe made to accept the v-band style hookup (maybe some sites offer a bolt-on flange) ,,,, and a v-band clamp ,,,, make sure waste-gate is available or adaptable , and hopefully the whole assembly is clocked correct so I don't have to re-pipe stuff :blink: ( not entirely sure what is what in this area at this point.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were to just rebuild the existing turbocharger in the pictures above...

gpopshop.com has standard as well as complete kits 3 styles of turbo seal types that you are to choose from.(according to which seal your turbocharger incorporates). (Ebay has a cheapy kit , etc etc...)

-1pc encapsulated carbon seal kit (Note:G-pop recommends this as a general guideline kit for 280zxt's on their website)

-4pc carbon assembly seal kit

- Dynamic seal kit

Has anyone rebuilt this specific turbo pictured above ( or similiar on their L28et/VG30ET) or know anything about the actual seal it truly is/specifications on it ?

I'm actually relatively new to turbo ownership :lol:

Thankyou

DTP

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience with turbo's.. it's generally recommended to just buy the center CHRA and put your housings on it. Basically a new turbo as long as the housings are not damaged. Rebuilds are crap especially if you don't send it out to be balanced. You'll just be rebuilding it again sooner than later. This seems to be the standard at twinturbo.net.

Take it for what it's worth.. Good luck!

In my experience with turbo's.. it's generally recommended to just buy the center CHRA and put your housings on it. Basically a new turbo as long as the housings are not damaged. Rebuilds are crap especially if you don't send it out to be balanced. You'll just be rebuilding it again sooner than later. This seems to be the standard at twinturbo.net.

Take it for what it's worth.. Good luck!

Thanks Draker !!

Yeah that's what I was afraid of and speculating on :-/

I gotta make sure by cracking it open though first .. doh !

Appreciate it ! I have my other good turbo I might just use in this case.

I'm slightly hesistant to try an Ebay one ( but they're probably all Ebay ones at this point really :-(  )

I'll be looking around it looks like.

The good luck is welcomed ... I'll need it ... :lol:

I have rebuilt a turbo. Balancing would only need to be done if there was damage done to either wheel. The seal kits are all pretty much generic. Some might have more parts, new bolts, washers, etc. I'm pretty sure the t-3, t-4 uses the same kits.

center punch the housing to make sure it's clocked correctly before disassembly.

I have rebuilt a turbo. Balancing would only need to be done if there was damage done to either wheel. The seal kits are all pretty much generic. Some might have more parts, new bolts, washers, etc. I'm pretty sure the t-3, t-4 uses the same kits.

center punch the housing to make sure it's clocked correctly before disassembly.

Yeah, but for something that spins up to 250,000 RPM.. if you do anything to it.. you better make sure it's balanced.. If you don't it's not going to last. I know this is ratsun.. but best practice is to have it balanced. But all in all.. even people that have their turbos professionally rebuilt have reported failures at 20-60k. For a 280zxt probably not an issue because there is plenty of room to work in the engine bay... but for a Z32TT you've gotta pull the engine to do the turbos and so you best make sure you do it exactly right. Actually you don't have to pull the engine, but it's faster if you do.

Hey I appreciate the tips darrel ! :thumbup:

I still have yet to take it apart (other things got in the way)

Good to know on the seal kits :)

Yeah, but for something that spins up to 250,000 RPM.. if you do anything to it.. you better make sure it's balanced.. If you don't it's not going to last. I know this is ratsun.. but best practice is to have it balanced. But all in all.. even people that have their turbos professionally rebuilt have reported failures at 20-60k. For a 280zxt probably not an issue because there is plenty of room to work in the engine bay... but for a Z32TT you've gotta pull the engine to do the turbos and so you best make sure you do it exactly right. Actually you don't have to pull the engine, but it's faster if you do.

Turbo-city.com offers rebuilt center sections for about $275.00 + shipping .... with NO warranty .... as a cost means to saving me money they say ... :lol:

On a side-note ... gpopshop.com and one other company (can't remember name at the moment) both said I would have to take it apart to identify the seal needed for confirmation. gpopshop.com's staff called it a "hybrid".

Thankyou Draker and darrel !

• 2 weeks later...

I have done quite a few turbos and never had a problem. You don't need to balance. Compressor wheels and turbnes are balanced individually. Compressor wheel on th eback, turboes on the fastener. Only Turbonetices that I know of for sure balances their assemblies. They take the weight off the compressor nut and usually not much. There is not one local turbo rebuild shop in my town that balances. Rebuild kits are cheap. When changing the piston ring on the turbine. Put the end gap up. There really isn't much to them. Compressor seals differ but bearings and thrist washer are all the same on small shaft Garrett, what you have.

• Like 1

I should add. Once the compressor wheel is off you will have to give a tap on the compressor shaft end to get the turbine out. It is only being held in by the piston ring at this point. Same to get it back in. Push it in as far as it will go, make sure the piston ring is seated in the bevel as far as it will go and tap it. I use a peice of hood. A hammer handle end works too. You will need a small tip snap ring plier to remove the snap rings that retain the bearings iside. You may have have to grind the tips down. A 6 point 14mm socket works better than a 12 point on the turbine end.

• 4 months later...

Regarding this thread....

I just wanted to say Thank You to Draker , darrel , DISLEXICDIME , and Clifton.

The information , tips , and experience all proved to be very helpful...

I've decided to rebuild the turbo ( at the top of the thread ) myself and found out it is a dynamic seal :) (no biggie right ? not many parts...)

I have in posession a major rebuild kit , and an upgraded compressor shaft step gap seal.

Turbocity.com will rebalance it for $35 + shipping/handling both ways. Although I didn't see any balance markings on either end (compressor or turbine nut).

On another note..

-- I am now questioning g-popshop.com ... their accuracy to the "standard" 280zx OEM turbo's rebuild kit.

I've found on hybridz a member popped open his non-modified oem 280zx turbo ... and found a dynamic seal versus the carbon seal g-pop says they generally take.

I'll go back and read to see if there is a disclaimer of some sort at g-pop ...

I'm going to email them as well , but I have a feeling I may already know the answer to this detail.

Likely just have to take it apart for confirmation first ( smartest course of action .. possibly .. )

I'm chatting on about this since I own a 280zx OEM Turbo ... want to keep it that way ... and re-fresh/clean/rebuild it as well.

So it pertains ;) :D

Again your time is much appreciated on your part gents !

David