I added to my Datsun stable

hitch

About three months ago I saw a listing on Craigs List where an Estate sale had a datsun listed. Perhaps another Atlanta member looked at the same cars. The add listed several, Honda s2000, 92 BMW 325is, Toyota Tacoma, 63 Buick Lesabre, 73 240Z & a couple of boats and tons of car stuff. There was not much info on any of the cars but just for grins and a father and son day we left about 6:30 am and did breakfast and were at the sale 7:55 just as the owners were opening the garage. Within about 30 min's there were about 20 tire kickers there to look at the cars. All of them were in exceptional condition. They were owned by a definite car guy who had a passion for nice cars. The 240 was in the back of a 4 car garage covered by a tarp. The garage was burried in car stuff floor to celing, barely any room to walk in it. The 240 had been setting since 1977 (60k miles) and there was some front end damage that because of all the stuff I could not get a good look at.

I could tell it needed a front cross member, bumper, & radiator. The body shell was rust free and straight from the headlight buckets back. There was no body rust and the interior was like new! The family wanted about $1400 for it and I said I’d take it. He told me that they were taking offers that day and he’d let me know. During the conversation he told me that there was another Datsun out back. Went around the back and there was a 1979 280zx under a cover, the interior was in terrific shape and only a small dash crack. The paint was shot, but other than that there was only a little rust at the top of the cracked windshield. The odometer was showing 25k. The battery was dead and I could not check the condition of the drive train. It had silver panasport 14 inch wheels and they were in great condition. The owners were asking $2500 for the 79. I was interested but told them that the price was way too high and that the wheels were possibly more valuable than the car. I left my card and the owner said that they would be in touch.

Fast forward, last Saturday, they call me and let me know that the cars are still for sale (titles were now available, probate stuff) and was I interested. The owner’s son took a like to my son who I’ve turned into a Datsun fan. His mother, the widow, told him to sell me the Datsun’s, since we were not interested in tearing them up, just getting them straight for being driven. She thought that was what here husband would have wanted. I took the day off Thursday, and borrowed my buddy’s car hauler and went with as much cash as I could muster without causing a divorce. Fifteen hundred. Went to buy one or the other and start a new project. It took me two trips, but I purchased both cars, guess you could say one of them was free.

The 240 will need some extensive work and parts, but I should be able to get it back to original in a few months with some parts scavenging. The ZX is in exceptional shape except for the paint, windshield, and the blower motor. My son has already claimed it and we spent the weekend doing simple things. Oil change, checking air pressure, attempted paint compound, and sorting the blower motor, fixed a dry rotted fuel line. Started stripping the chrome and molding off for the garage paint job in a week or two. The AC compressor works and the lines get hot / cold, but no blower means no cool air. It drives straight, feels powerful, shifts great, not a bit of smoke, good oil pressure and a killer after market head unit. That is my 2 for 1 story. I’ll need to sell the 620, wife said so, I’ll post pictures later this week, got to go out of town till Friday. It took a couple of days for the wife to warm up to me again, since her car will be spending the next couple of weeks out of the garage.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jaimesix
I love it when a plan comes together! Nice find man...you never know whats gonna be in some old garage eh? :blink:

About your SIMCA, I have a friend that has one, his name is Vic. I will let him know about another SIMCA fan.

Jaime.____________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
About three months ago I saw a listing on Craigs List where an Estate sale had a datsun listed. Perhaps another Atlanta member looked at the same cars. The add listed several, Honda s2000, 92 BMW 325is, Toyota Tacoma, 63 Buick Lesabre, 73 240Z & a couple of boats and tons of car stuff. There was not much info on any of the cars but just for grins and a father and son day we left about 6:30 am and did breakfast and were at the sale 7:55 just as the owners were opening the garage. Within about 30 min's there were about 20 tire kickers there to look at the cars. All of them were in exceptional condition. They were owned by a definite car guy who had a passion for nice cars. The 240 was in the back of a 4 car garage covered by a tarp. The garage was burried in car stuff floor to celing, barely any room to walk in it. The 240 had been setting since 1977 (60k miles) and there was some front end damage that because of all the stuff I could not get a good look at.

I could tell it needed a front cross member, bumper, & radiator. The body shell was rust free and straight from the headlight buckets back. There was no body rust and the interior was like new! The family wanted about $1400 for it and I said I

Nope, canary yellow with a black stripe. I bought it from 521lvr on New Years day.

I would like to sell it, but really like the truck so I’ve not listed it anywhere. I just don't have space for it. My daughter will get her permit in a couple of weeks. I may just keep the 620 for her and she can drive it to school. I've got an auto trans that I may swap in and she can hammer it all she wants. Funny, I don't mind putting my son in an old car but I'm reluctant to do that to my daughter.

Update on the zx, it was not the blower motor. Just the little fuse hiding under and behind the blower. I cannot believe no one here told me to check it. The fuse does not show up in the owner’s manual and also not on epnet repair. I picked up two less used seatbelt latches for it as the original ones were falling apart. I'm also looking for a deal on a gage cluster, the speedometer needle broke off and only a stub about 1/4" is still showing. I accused my son of pegging the speedo and breaking it, insisting that was the only way it could possibly happen. Had him going, giving him the 3rd degree about racing and letting someone drive his car. It was fun listening to him make excuses and defending his honor. I was never a fan of the ZX, probably my least favorite Z car, but dang, that thing runs smooth and is a great highway car. I recall the day I picked up the 240 going up I 75 for a few miles with the orange 240 on the trailer. A 70-78 bumperless z car, quite nice and in grey or primer looking real fine pulled up along side my rig and gave me a big thumbs up! That made my day as I was lamenting the lecture I was going to get at home when I showed up with a 2nd car. I still owe the board some pictures, I just did not want to show the zx until I had the paint work done, and I'm incredibly busy with business travel and family when I'm home, so I apologize for not putting anything up yet.

I actually was at that sale before you arrived :) Talked to guy in advance got there around 7:20 I saw the 240 but decided I was really interested at the time in a running car despite the shape it was in (already 2 datsuns projects in the works) Both those cars are REALLY nice. The 240 interior is amazing