Dat Wagon! '79 810 Goon

If 300hp then RB25 would be best to suit that preferably Neo RB25 they make 280hp the RB25 250hp. Either way a good built L28ET can make that but you want RB so if you have the money make sure you have about $5-10k not including the engine & trans and that's just a low estimate you'll save a lot if you do it yourself which looks like you most probably will.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect it to be cheap of course lol. Projects never are.

I'll prolly end up going RB20 just because the engine will be cheaper, the 25 neo runs pretty high on ebay! 2 grand or more in most cases it looks like.

rb20s are like...1500 tops lol.

I can't say this from experience, but it seems to be the general consensus that an RB25 is a significant improvement over the RB20. After you do the math for all the costs involved with a swap (fuel pump & lines, driveshaft, mounts, suspension improvements, wiring...) the $500-800 difference for an RB25 doesn't seem as huge. Research 280zx RB swaps, should be fairly similar for an 810. With a target of less than 300 ponies the RB20 may be just fine though.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update - 

started pulling the chrome from it, I think I'm gonna de-chrome the whole thing and do it all in flat black.

I also got my new grill and luggage rack from nismosilvia in the other day, good stuff!

Still tryna get rid of stuff and gather funds for a motor and such. Slow goings but any progress is better than none

• 1 month later...

Got the front end dismantled for the most part, and my replacement parts are on their way from Arizona - thanks Bill.

I'm still debating on the motor. For the swiftness and simplicity of it I may just do an L28ET. I'll be swapping it to rack and pinion regardless, that steering box is garbage.

Got the front end dismantled for the most part, and my replacement parts are on their way from Arizona - thanks Bill.

I'm still debating on the motor. For the swiftness and simplicity of it I may just do an L28ET. I'll be swapping it to rack and pinion regardless, that steering box is garbage.

No worries.I'm happy the sheet metal went to a good home.

Good to know your still working on it hope you get some pics up! L28ET seems like is the way to go for now would be fun!

I agree. The more I watch videos on youtube of built l28s the more I like them. Not that I ever disliked them, but they're really growing on me now as a much more viable option. I'm actually going to see a guy tomorrow about the whole shebang - motor, trans, crossmember, rack, etc.

No worries.I'm happy the sheet metal went to a good home.

I'm happy I got the sheet metal lol. It shall come in handy.

I agree. The more I watch videos on youtube of built l28s the more I like them. Not that I ever disliked them, but they're really growing on me now as a much more viable option. I'm actually going to see a guy tomorrow about the whole shebang - motor, trans, crossmember, rack, etc.

Would make sense to go with the L-6 since there well over documented engines tons of builds L28ET are fun as hell!

Would make sense to go with the L-6 since there well over documented engines tons of builds L28ET are fun as hell!

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it. Can't wait to start getting it put together. If things work out right I'll have the motor ready before the body and such are done.

Things are coming together - purchased an 82 280zx Turbo for a grand, I'll pick it up the week after next. The guy I got it from is an old racing buddy of my father's, still builds five dimes and big inline-6 turbos for SCCA cars.

He was putting a Stillen supercharger kit meant for a Titan in an NV when we got there! Gotta love that Nissan ingenuity lol.

Anyway. He told me it was a strong runner before he let it sit, but I'm still gonna open it up and clean/rebuild. 

That being said, anyone got a good line on performance bits for the L28? I know there's the Z store but they're always a bit pricey, and my half-assed ebay searches at work have yielded meager results lol.

Get on HybridZ always some really cool stuff for sale there! I'm thinking of sticking to what I got for now I don't make enough monies to do what I really want to the 810 but I'm gonna built the L24E. A grand for a 280zx with everything on it is a great price, what are you gonna do about the suspension? Maybe S13 coilovers in the front or air bags.

Get on HybridZ always some really cool stuff for sale there! I'm thinking of sticking to what I got for now I don't make enough monies to do what I really want to the 810 but I'm gonna built the L24E. A grand for a 280zx with everything on it is a great price, what are you gonna do about the suspension? Maybe S13 coilovers in the front or air bags.

Thanks for the tip! I'm kinda ballin' on a budget myself, so it might take me a while to do everything I want to the wagon, but I wanna do it right the first time so I'm ready to be patient. 

I thought it was too. Plus a lot easier than piecing together everything I need over time. 

Hadn't thought about suspension, actually. I've only gotten as far as deciding on what motor to do! lol. I'll have to look and see what all everyone else has done. Are s13 coils a pain to swap in?

That's how mine is, mine was already lowered on stock suspension the rear has lowering blocks which is super easy! I know its not the best but for now its ok until I get S13 coilovers in the front and new/better leaf springs in the back. Mine is lowered 3 inches in front and 2 in the back you'll have to cut some coils of the springs in reality it rides pretty decent, I'm planning on going lower still.

That's how mine is, mine was already lowered on stock suspension the rear has lowering blocks which is super easy! I know its not the best but for now its ok until I get S13 coilovers in the front and new/better leaf springs in the back. Mine is lowered 3 inches in front and 2 in the back you'll have to cut some coils of the springs in reality it rides pretty decent, I'm planning on going lower still.

I definitely wanna go lower, but not too low. It's purpose is mainly for road trips, people carrying, and hauling stuff I can't fit in my s14 so I don't want to limit its usefulness with my suspension choice.

All my doors and fenders came in last week!

IMG_4807.jpg

I'm going to roll the wagon out of the unit this weekend and take very detailed "before" photos, just for the hell of it. I want to have them so I can look back on where it was when I'm finished.

I've also got a goal to take it to an import show in Wildwood, NJ next year if anyone would be interested in meeting up for that.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...