HELP: Identifying Voltage Regulator:

REDnGOLD

My voltage regulator is bad & in need of replacing.

My question is: W/c one is my voltage regulator? On my manual, w/c is hard to see, shows only one. I opened that black box next to my battery & shows one that looks like the ones pictured on google & 2 more that look also like voltage regulators

9111632904_7f60503799_b.jpg

I take it its the one w/ a decal. What are the 2 that's next to it & do I also replace them?

Thanks in advance for help.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other side of that black box everything is on. At least it is on my 710s.

SIX wires

White/Red stripe

Black/White stripe

White/Black stripe

Black

Yellow

White

I think the GREEN plug just to the right of the fusible links with the BOSCH relay above it.

9111632904_7f60503799_b.jpg

It shouldn't no.

Both gas and temp gauges are run by a small voltage regulator of their own. It supplies an 8 volt source from any battery voltage larger than that. Usually 12.6 (key on engine off) to 14.5 engine running. The 8 volt supply never varies even though the charge on the battery may and this keeps the gauges steady.  

Ignition retarded will dump huge amounts of hot exhaust into the ports that gets absorbed by the coolant jacket.

Lean mixtures run hotter because there is less fuel to absorb heat when vaporizing. Gas actually cools the combustion chambers.

Fan shroud in place? These really increase the fans efficiency at low speeds like idle.

Proper mix of anti freeze coolant?

Clutch fan spins easily or firm to turn? If loose it won't move much air at low speeds.

Check bottom rad hose. Is it soft and squishy? If so the pump may collapse it from the suction at highway revs.

Rad fins plugged with leaves, pine needles, bugs, dirt or plastic bag?

Loose damaged or glazed fan belt slipping?.

Rad low on coolant?

Rad was cleaned? How? What with.... maybe they did a half ass job.

Ignition retarded will dump huge amounts of hot exhaust into the ports that gets absorbed by the coolant jacket.

Lean mixtures run hotter because there is less fuel to absorb heat when vaporizing. Gas actually cools the combustion chambers.

Fan shroud in place? Yep

These really increase the fans efficiency at low speeds like idle.

Proper mix of anti freeze coolant? im not sure. the shop who got my radiator cleaned & unclogged replaced it a few months ago

Clutch fan spins easily or firm to turn? its a lil firm but not too firm. I am able to spin it w/ very little effort

If loose it won't move much air at low speeds.

Check bottom rad hose. Is it soft and squishy? its hard but I only checked after the engine has cooled down

If so the pump may collapse it from the suction at highway revs.

Rad fins plugged with leaves, pine needles, bugs, dirt or plastic bag?

Loose damaged or glazed fan belt slipping? fan belt is firm & seems to be in good shape

Rad low on coolant? coolant level is normal

Rad was cleaned? How? What with.... maybe they did a half ass job. it was cleaned professionally a few months ago...or at least I thought so. I will call d shop who did my radiator. Paid a hefty fee to get that done too since my former rental did not allow me to work on my car(s). Im hoping when i take it back to them they wont say the radiator needs replacing.

Just a note, a little late:  On my '72 510, when the main voltage regulator went bad, it caused both the fuel and temp gauges to read double or more than they should have.  So it's entirely possible that it could cause that.  It doesn't make sense why that was, but replacing the main voltage regulator solved it.

Just a note, a little late:  On my '72 510, when the main voltage regulator went bad, it caused both the fuel and temp gauges to read double or more than they should have.  So it's entirely possible that it could cause that.  It doesn't make sense why that was, but replacing the main voltage regulator solved it.

Mine did the same thing...and the gauge issue was resolved with the replacement of the main voltage regulator. 

Eric - Go to O'reilly's...that is where I got my regulator. Lifetime Warranty and it even had an O.E. Part Number on the box.

Mine did the same thing...and the gauge issue was resolved with the replacement of the main voltage regulator. 

Eric - Go to O'reilly's...that is where I got my regulator. Lifetime Warranty and it even had an O.E. Part Number on the box.

I ordered mine Saturday from Oreilly (60amp). I may have some question for you if i do come across some issues replacing it. Thanks William.

i called the shop that did my radiator & he also claimed that the voltage regulator can cause faulty gauges. The regulator arrived this afternoon. I will be replacing my old one this week & hope that solves d problem.