L 18 Timing chain off a link

Am replacing the Head Gasket on my 1974 - 620 PU. The PO had repl'd the HG  and got a poor seal resulting in a coolant leak near #4 cyl. The shiney link on the time chain is off from the #1 mark on the cam sprocket. The chain must of been off a link down on the crank sprocket.

My Question is: Can I go ahead and Place the chain onto the Cam sprocket in a manner that gives me a correct line up with the V and dash indicator? My crank pulley is on zero and the #1 cyl. is TDC on the compression stroke.

I sure don't want to pull off the front plate if I don't have to. Thankz....

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if the bright link on the crank is on point then you need to make sure the cam sprocket is on point too but if you didnt reinstall the timing chain yourself them it could be one tooth off on both sprockets due to the motor rotation. 

Ive set the timing correctly then set the valves and never been able to get them to line up again, still got the motor running. 

The shiny link only ever lines up on initial install.  After that, it moves around. 

Key at this point is be DAMN sure the crank is at TDC, not "close", using the TDC indicator on the timing cover/crank pulley, and them making sure the V notch on the cam sprocket is right.

Can I go ahead and Place the chain onto the Cam sprocket in a manner that gives me a correct line up with the V and dash indicator? My crank pulley is on zero and the #1 cyl. is TDC on the compression stroke.

I've done this before.  Marking your timing chain before removing the sprocket is the best though.

Once I ran into a situation where, in a bonehead move, I popped out the tensioner and then managed to get it back in without taking the front cover off.  To do so, I had to move the chain around and thought I was going to have to pull the front cover off to reset the bright link.  Instead, I set the crank to TDC, put the sprocket in the chain, and adjusted the cam and tried different teeth until I got the V notch just right.  I turned the crank around until I hit TDC again, and everything lined up perfectly.  The engine ran fine after that.

Like Doug said. Set TDC accurately. Look through the top hole in the cam sprocket. The notch on the back of the sprocket should be just below or slightly to the right of the tiny horizontal etch mark on the cam thrust plate behind it. Like this....

motorLcamtiming.jpg

The horizontal mark is about 4 degrees wide. You may be able to adjust by moving from the #2 hole to the #3 hole. If the notch is more than that,  carefully block the chain to prevent the tensioner falling out and move the sprocket one tooth. This will give 9 degrees of change. Install by turning cam slightly to get the dowel into the cam sprocket and take another look. As long as you are at TDC and the notch is like the picture it's timed perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be too late....

But if you can check amazon or eBay for a Nissan timing chain wedge. $10...... 2nd best Datsun specific tool I have

867D6CB0-62C5-46A8-99EE-4FD8ACC71794-329

That thing is the SHIZNIT, isn't it? I used it when I replaced my headgasket. I found it at Checker on closeout for LESS than $5! What a life saver and totally worth it even if it broke during use. Thanks for taking that pic. It's pretty apparent just how effective that sucker really is!

BTW- if that's the 2nd best Datsun tool you have, what's the first?!

That thing is the SHIZNIT, isn't it? I used it when I replaced my headgasket. I found it at Checker on closeout for LESS than $5! What a life saver and totally worth it even if it broke during use. Thanks for taking that pic. It's pretty apparent just how effective that sucker really is!

BTW- if that's the 2nd best Datsun tool you have, what's the first?!

my snap on torque wrenches come in the #1 slot

• Like 1