z22 cam timing 180 degrees off

redhorse07

Hello its my first time posting on any forum.I purchased a rust free 82 kc 4x4 with 300,000 miles just a month ago.To make a long story short I

installed a new head and timing chain.my brite links are lined up according to the manual.After truck wouldn't start I realized the the cam is off 180 degrees.The first two cam lobes are pointing downward opposite of the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock TDC on the compression stroke.Being this was my first time doing anything like this I was wrong thinking that every time the piston was at tdc that there was compression at that cylinder.I now know how wrong I was on thinking that.Any advice on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think one really can install a cam 180 cause i think it will hit a piston when you turn it over with the breacker bar to ck if motor spins OK.

piston shoul be on top at TDC in front. then istall the head with the cam timmed to TDC or very close and then bolt it down and put on the chain.

I dont think the cam dowel numbers would be in the right spot of the dowel was in the 6 o clock position.

here is my L motor vid hope this can help.

Maybe you just put the plug wires on wrong or the distributor pedastal on 180 off or the plug wires to the cap/

recheack those. Im not a Z motor guy but this will give you a good idea

http://vimeo.com/19077890

• Like 1

You can have the cam off 180 degrees, it just causes the distributor to be out of sync with the cam.

You have 3 options:

1) Rotate cam 180 degrees (you will need to have the crank halfway between TDC/BDC though, or the valves will hit the 2 TDC pistons when you do that.  You'll need to block the chain and prevent the crank from turning.

2) Remove oil pump and reposition the distributor drive shaft 180 degrees (to match the cam)

3) Swap all spark plug wires out 180 degrees (exchange #1 with #4 and #2 with #3, both sets of plugs).  Note that that point the plug wires won't match the numbers on the cap, but it'll run.

Thank you guys. I swaped the wires around and she fired up first time.I have never done anything like this.It felt good to have it fire up.Banzai510 it was your videos that gave me the confidence that I needed to start my project.Thanks again guys you saved me a lot of time ,money and frustration!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think one really can install a cam 180 cause i think it will hit a piston when you turn it over with the breacker bar to ck if motor spins OK.

piston shoul be on top at TDC in front. then istall the head with the cam timmed to TDC or very close and then bolt it down and put on the chain.

I dont think the cam dowel numbers would be in the right spot of the dowel was in the 6 o clock position.

here is my L motor vid hope this can help.

Maybe you just put the plug wires on wrong or the distributor pedastal on 180 off or the plug wires to the cap/

recheack those. Im not a Z motor guy but this will give you a good idea

http://vimeo.com/19077890

Damm after watching that video It all looks so simple. Gotta give you kudos for making it.  Good lookin out!!!!

• 11 months later...