Timing chain moved?

bmacster

I am in the process of completing the head gasket install on my truck when I came about a rather interesting issue. It appears that the timing chain has somehow moved 4-6 links down from where I had it and no longer lines up with the mark #2 mark on the cam gear. I don't see the tensioner being the issue as pointing a light doesn't even show it looking straight down. 

Is there any way of getting the chain back to where it should be without removing the timing chain cover, pump, etc?

The head does not appear to have been moved when it was at the machine shop to get checked out. 

Z24 motor btw...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walked out to the truck to see if I can spot anything - I can look straight down to the crankshaft sprocket.

Sorry for the lack of details - This is a learning experience (frustrating) but at least I am learn! I can only think that somehow the chain has simply moved when I was putting the wedge in and it wasn't noticed until reassembly. 

I suppose this means the timing chain cover needs to come off now to verify the tensioner/spring isn't at the bottom of the engine... Doesn't appear to be so but I would have gathered there would be SOMETHING down there, other than the sprocket...

I don't see the tensioner being the issue as pointing a light doesn't even show it looking straight down. 

Is there any way of getting the chain back to where it should be without removing the timing chain cover, pump, etc?

if the tensioner popped out, the covers coming off.

To be clear... the bright links only line up when the chain is installed. As soon as the motor is turned the links only line up randomly every few dozen turns. If you blocked the chain at TDC and the motor hasn't been bumped then it's still OK. Look at the timing mark... is it still at TDC??? If so you're good to go.

It's very possible the cam was bumped at the shop. Turn with vice grips untill the pin in the front is at 12 o'clock and lins up with the sprocket..

OK - In that case, everything is fine (I think). All of the marks line up, except for the mark on the timing chain, which was the master link that I used for the mark and on the #2 mark. 

Nothing else moved, which is why I am freaked out and questioning why it even happened in the first place. 

Now if I can get the camshaft gear on, I'd be a happy person....

Looked at it some more. Tensioner definitely moved. 

Started disassembling the front end now - Got the radiator and alternator off at least. Distributor and hopefully the rest of it tomorrow. I couldn't find it in the manual but I would assume the dizzy is held on by just the 2 bolts?