KA single cam lifters

so ive been having this issue with the KA. 

the truck has that issue iwth vapor locking and it dies. when i fire it back up after this, one of the lifters on the exhaust side collapses. 

after another mile of driving its pumped back up again. 

what would correlate these 2 things together? i dont see how the engine dieing would make it drop a lifter. 

thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New or used lifters that aren't air locked are the only fix within reason. you can take them apart but its a huge PITA! if you have a ka with lifter noise you have dirty oil passages, or your running the wrong oil plain and simple. I forget what nissan calls out for recomended oil i ran 5 30w in my wagon never once did the lifters make a sound. In the fsm it says to run engine at 2000 rpm for 20 min if noise doesnt go away replace rocker arm, something like that anyway. so they can be troulbesome.

what would correlate these 2 things together? i dont see how the engine dieing would make it drop a lifter. 

There is nothing that can relate these two things.

How do you know it's a collapsed lifter????

well it stopped making noise yesterday, so im guessing its just the wrong oil. 

now i pretty sure this engine had like 220k on it. i was going to put some 20 50 in it for the summer and see how that does.. 

with the milage would that be an okay choice? i have 10 40 in it right now, and its like water almost now... 

Not sure if these lifters are the same as the VG lifters, but running some ATF in there for a bit helps clean them out. Also, you can pull the cams and lifters and manually rebuild/clean them.