Connecting rod bushings

h190

I am rebuilding a ka24de and I have all new everything except for the crank and rods.  I referred to the fsm and measured my new piston pins and my old connecting rod bushings.  My snap on micrometers will not read in .0001"  only .001  When I measure them I get the same number on both indicating a ZERO clearance.  I know that there has to be clearance there I just cant measure it with my tools.  My question is about replacing the bushings.  They aren't scarred up and don't appear to be badly worn they are simply oil stained.  I checked on new bushing from the dealer and its about 100$  and several weeks from japan.  CAN I SIMPLY REUSE MY OLD BUSHINGS?  The machine shop recommended that I simply use a fingered brake hone to lightly hone the surface.  I AM AFRAID TO DO HIS BEACUSE OF THE TIGHT CLEARANCE.   Have any of you used your old bushings? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is for s13 ka24de in a 91 240sx.  They are 7$ each but all the way from japan.  What if I just re use my old ones? 

So you are going through the time and expense to rebuild an engine and you are balking at $28 ?  What do I not understand ?

My local dealer price of 10$ a piece, A month from japan,  20$ in gas to the machine shop, 100$ for removal and and installation of the bushings and then the shop wants to HONE, not ream, the new bushings.  I don't need someone barking at me I need sensible advice.  I want to know who has reused their bushings and what kind of luck they had.  My bushings are not scarred up just stained.  Is honing of the bushing recommended or is it 100% necessary to ream.  Please if you dont have the brains to give a good answer please keep jacking off over in the tits and ass thread.

My local dealer price of 10$ a piece, A month from japan,  20$ in gas to the machine shop, 100$ for removal and and installation of the bushings and then the shop wants to HONE, not ream, the new bushings.  I don't need someone barking at me I need sensible advice.  I want to know who has reused their bushings and what kind of luck they had.  My bushings are not scarred up just stained.  Is honing of the bushing recommended or is it 100% necessary to ream.  Please if you dont have the brains to give a good answer please keep jacking off over in the tits and ass thread.

Your mouth is smarter than your brain.

• Like 1

I don't need someone barking at me I need sensible advice.  I want to know who has reused their bushings and what kind of luck they had.  My bushings are not scarred up just stained.  Is honing of the bushing recommended or is it 100% necessary to ream.  Please if you dont have the brains to give a good answer please keep jacking off over in the tits and ass thread.

. New ones have to be reamed out to meet the clearances of the pin. Pressing them in would distort them so it is done afterwards.

I don't see the need to ream an old one as it was originally reamed to match the pin. If anything it's now worn slightly. Honing like knurling valve guides instead of replacing, can raise the surface by displacing metal. Probably then it would need to be reamed to the proper clearance. Maybe this is what the machinist has in mind..... woot! Gotta go I'm late over at POST AS(s)  

lol  Thanks Mike,  sense before insanity is OK.   Well for how much $$$  its going to cost for new bushings im gonna spend and extra 200$ and get some eagle rods. I was just reading a thread about a kid throwing stock a rod on his KA after he spent 3500$ on the rest of the engine.  I am using new wiseco pistons so If I add the rods I would feel alot better about adding a turbocharger in the future.  My goal is to build a NA  daily driver engine with premium parts for longevity.  If I get a wild hair for boost I need not worry about internal parts.