Z22e Pistons, or something else?

Hey Ratsun.

I just just got in some .040 or 1mm oversize pistons in the mail from Rock auto that I want to put in my L/Z21 build.

I saw a photo Datzenmike had posted with side-by-side comparison of the different L and Z series pistons. I was just curious if anyone could ID them because they don't look quite right (the dish looks wrong to me).

img2842ud.jpg

Does this look right?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

motorpistonsL20BZ20EZ22SZ24007Large.jpg

......................Z24................................ Z22S ........................... Z20E................................. L20B

I believe these are a set of Z22S (truck obviously)

motorZ20Edishedpistons.jpg

• 1 month later...

You measure piston dish same as combustion chamber volume. Use a flat piece of glass with a hole in the middle, seal it down on the piston crown with a little bit of grease, and drip water or kerosene into the hole until the air bubble just dissapears. You of course measure the volume dispensed from the syringe or burette.

Those look like ITM Z22S pistons; make sure you measure the pin height! Z22S=35.5mm, Z22E=32ish mm. Z22E pistons seem to be harder to find, in my experience. ITM makes a good cast piston though, I've run my Z22S +1mm oversize pistons to 7800+RPM in my 2.9L L28. Usually a cast piston starts to give up and the wrist pin will start tapping when they're run that hard; 7000RPM is a more normal hard limit.

If the pistons are as you say from an Z22s or truck what year are the Z22 engines from?  Curious incase I do this swap thing I know what to look for.

All Z22 truck motors 07-'80 through 12-'82 and S110 (200sx) 07-'81 to 12-'81 used the same piston. 12010-06W11

The 200sx used a different piston (and rod) from 01-'82 on.

12010-D8101