Need a new tank or repair old

720LA

Hi all,

My gas tank on my 1980 720 is a mess. I've worked on a motorcycle tank before and actually cut it in half, welded a big patch in one half and welded it back together. But it was a lot - and I mean a lot - of work. I'd rather not do that with my pickup's tank but I have to do something and I can't find a replacement. I can only find them for 1982 or 1983 and newer. Come to think of it I'm not sure they were Kingcabs, which mine is. I think mine is approximately an 11 gallon tank which is making it kind of hard to find anything similar. Everything looks like it's just a little too big.

Does anyone know of a tank of similar size and shape that I might be able to adapt? I keep toying with the idea of finding a small plastic tank from something newer and trying to adapt it. Or - any other ideas? Come on you Datsun geniuses! Let's get thinkin!

Scott

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ 720LA-When you find one in the junk yard, take it out and pull the Fuel Level Sensor out of the top top of the tank and look down inside with a light to see if your getting one thats atleast fairly clean or one thats just caked with rust. Its ok if its a little rusty on the inside, they are easy to clean out.

Only a KC tank will fit a KC.... no other model has the notch out of the top front for cab clearance. The '80 2wd and 4wd are the same part number exactly. There are part number changes after that, and Wayno says they are all the same, and I can't see anything different either... except maybe the volume inside.

Thank you all. I think I am going to buy one from a newer year now that I've read all your comments. Even if there is something or other that I have to modify, as long as the basic shape and dimensions are the same I don't mind a little extra work to get clean gas into my carb. Alright! Thanks!