Issues with HID lighting on my 620

Fellow Ratsun'ers,

Alright to start off I have a 74 620 with a built SR20det stuffed in it.  Also have the BMW headlights with HIDs.  When I turn on headlights with truck running it idles down as if it is loading up.  Starts to run wierd and spits and sputters.  I have checked all grounds and added a couple more.  I have checked voltage at battery and its right .  Alternator is working correctly.  Also, I have rewired just the headlights directly to battery and installed a toggle to see if there might be an issue with stock wiring.  Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jason

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an SR alternator? It should be around 90 amp if it is. HIDs draw way less power than the stock bulbs so it shouldn't lug the motor down from the increased load.

Maybe get a volt meter and check across the battery at idle and when the lights are switched on.

ok, yes its an sr alt.  Ive checked the load across the bettery and all is good.  Ive checked amps the alt is putting out and its good.  Ive even removed alt and had it tested at parts house.  all is good.  And I have heard the HIDs dont pull near as much power.;  Im going to check my ballasts tonight after work.  Im ready to drive this thing more and more.  Ill post on here afterwards and Let you guys know.

Pics of the 620's with SR swaps plz

I have alot of pics on my cell.  Only computer I have access to is my work computer and this company doesnt allow me to get on photobucket or tinypic to post them.  I still havent figured out how to post them to the forum through my cell. 

ok, yes its an sr alt.  Ive checked the load across the bettery and all is good.  Ive checked amps the alt is putting out and its good.  Ive even removed alt and had it tested at parts house.  all is good.  And I have heard the HIDs dont pull near as much power.;  Im going to check my ballasts tonight after work.  Im ready to drive this thing more and more.  Ill post on here afterwards and Let you guys know.

All I can tell you is that if you think your HIDs are drawing enough current to drag down that 90 amp alt then your ballasts would be hotter than the surface of the sun going super nova.  Its very doubtful its either the lights or the ballasts.  More likely a short somewhere else in the circuitry. Maybe the ballast signal is interfering with the maf?  The maf wires should be shielded.  DO you have digital ballasts?