16 volt charge

mntnman

1971 510 with a l20b, had a alternator go bad so I changed alternator and voltage regulator and started it its charging at 16 volts so I disconnected voltage regulator and tested the alternator and it reads 12.3, I'm wondering if the voltage reg reads that low of voltage will it charge at 16, I ask cause I know an alternator puts out 14 by itself so maybe I got a bad alternator, does this sound right

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no the alt puts out a hight unregulated voltage and the reg cut it off at about 14 if it has enough current. then when you turn everything on it loads down.

if you have a external volt reg try another of put the other back in.

make sure you got a external alternator. I seen peopl mis mach and put a intervolt reg al in a external volt reg car.

I think you just got bad parts.

i think when you removed the volt reg and tested the alt all you did was measure the battery voltage. 12.3 is about right.

my guess right off the batt is a volt reg.

also if you can find them for under 25 bucks buy 2. the solidd state ones are better. autozones sells them. VR728 is the number I think. or Carquest sells them. the mechanical USA made ones suck ands only last 2 years I have seen

new alternator and new voltage reg, they ordered me a new voltage regulator and ill swap it tonight, ive heard these can be bad right out of the box, and yes your right disconnecting the voltage reg and testing the alt just gives you the battery voltage so it leads me to beleive the i got a bad volt reg, ill post back later when i swap it, thanks for the help

Well after changing the alternator which I needed and then the voltage reg it still charged at 16 so I cut all the tape off the wiring and found the white wire off the volt reg after the plug was melted so replaced it and I'm all good now