Diesel trans

ike-con

Yep we got a newbe here.

Hey to you all, I tilt my hat to you! I have been reading through a lot of the topic's, but find myself getting destracted with all the good stuff on here. So to get some good info, I came on board.               

I have been makeing my on fuel since 2004 cause I really don't like paying for gas. I'v look for one of these diesel motors within my buget for a while now and patient has paid off.

I just pick up an 81king cab sd22 Wednesday with 250xxxx miles. It runs grate! I drove it 2 hours back to my house with out a problem. Now the truck body has seen better days and the folks that were passing me up thought so too. Did not bother me one bit cause what I really wanted was the motor n trans.

It has a five speed with 4th gear out, it just bounces when trying to put it in gear.

My ? is what gas motor trans would fit this diesel motor or should I just go through this one.

I would post some pict but I think I'll just spair you the pain of seeing this one right now. but when I get the 86 4x4 I will post both of them. There is a few goto guys on here and I am so looking forward to picking your brain.

Thanks in advance

ike-con

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I googled for you.

According to this thread the transmissions are not interchangeable.  I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but in post #6 it sounds like you can make a Frankentrans by using the front half of one and the gearcase from another?

Here's another one that seems to indicate the same - making one trans from two.

The transmission is a standard 71B 5 speed transmission. I used a worn out SD22 transmission in my L28 Turbo maxima for several months before it lost 5th gear. Just swapped front cases. 
Make sure you keep the steel front cover plate/pivot fork/clutch arm with the engine that you are using. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Ratsun  B)

You can use any 720 longshaft 2wd transmission, all you need to do is remove the front diesel case and put it onto a good one.

The reason you cannot use a 4wd transmission is it has no speedo drive gear, but sometimes they used a 2wd transmission in a 4wd because that was all that could be found, so check for the speedo drive on all transmissions, 2wd or 4wd.

Here is a link to a "how to" thread I wrote, needless to say I don't make a living writing, but it will tell you basically how to remove the front case and re-install it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

The later transmissions have a big bearing that will need to be removed and replaced with a new smaller bearing, don't get cheap, just buy a top quality lower clustergear bearing when you do the transfer no matter what transmission you use, and you won't have to pull the tranny to do it again.

As mentioned above, keep that steel front cover with your diesel engine transmission front case, it's there for a reason, the only reason to use a aluminum cover is if your steel one has been destroyed.

Take care of your diesel transmission case, as they are very hard to find, everyone wants them for one reason or another.

• Like 1

Take care of your diesel transmission case, as they are very hard to find, everyone wants them for one reason or another.

Roadster owners are the new MG/Triumph owners. They want the front diesel case so they can convert the 71B or 71C 5 speeds for use on their cars. MG owners want A series doglegs for the same thing.

I want to thank you all for the input. Now that I have a better understanding of what I have to do swopping the 81 diesel into an 85 4x4, I may as well put this olds 350 diesel i have in it insted. 

the 350 olds diesel motor I do know about and will do 500xxxx plus and still get 30 plus miles and 

mybe more in the lighter truck.                                           

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow ratsun, Can i swop the fly wheel, pressure plate, clutch disc from a 85 gas 5 speed into a

81 diesel 5 speed. every thing is smaller in the 81.

thanks

The diesel flywheel bolt pattern is different than the gas flywheel bolt pattern, so no you cannot use the gasser flywheel on a SD22 diesel engine.

I want to thank you all for the input. Now that I have a better understanding of what I have to do swopping the 81 diesel into an 85 4x4, I may as well put this olds 350 diesel i have in it insted.

the 350 olds diesel motor I do know about and will do 500xxxx plus and still get 30 plus miles and

mybe more in the lighter truck.

The 350 diesel is a total piece of shit. GOOD LUCK!

The diesel flywheel bolt pattern is different than the gas flywheel bolt pattern, so no you cannot use the gasser flywheel on a SD22 diesel engine.

Thanks Wayno! I did the switch of the bell housing,  the reason why was that the input pline bearing was trashed n 4th gear was gone also so it took out the clutch disc when it came apart. I'm just glad that it did not come apart on the way home from purchasing it. Now need to locate a disc.

The 350 diesel is a total piece of shit. GOOD LUCK!

Look up the 10 worst engines ever built. Yes part of the problem was new owners didn't maintain them, thinking they were like gas engines and fuel purity was terrible but they were also a fail too.