engine wont turn over after installing transmission

pekasdam

I'm thinking worst case here, but if that spacer was still in the crank and the OP tightened the hell out of the bellhousing bolts, trying to bring it together, it is possible that there is sooo much pressure on the back of the thrust bearing that the crank just wont turn. Especially if the thrust is a little worn.

Now this is just about as remote as it gets, but I've seen some weird shit.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey there havent pulled out trans yet. i spoke to a gentlemen at aita clutch in compton ca about my situation and he said that it is possible that the hole where tran shaft goes into the engine could be coned shaped, therefore when the trans goes in it goes in tight, not allowing the engine to turn over.

engine 1992 240sx auto

trans 90's hardbody

is this possible? or somewhat true?

hey there havent pulled out trans yet. i spoke to a gentlemen at aita clutch in compton ca about my situation and he said that it is possible that the hole where tran shaft goes into the engine could be coned shaped, therefore when the trans goes in it goes in tight, not allowing the engine to turn over.

engine 1992 240sx auto

trans 90's hardbody

That's why I asked if it does it when the clutch pedal is depressed. You said it still does not spin, therefore that thoery is shot.

engine 1992 240sx auto

trans 90's hardbody

I don't think so the transmission would still turn in neutral with the motor.

okay fellas so we took out the trans today and i think we found the problem. looks like it might have been the dust cover. after removing the trans, clutch flywheel and pilot bushing the engine turned over again. we inspected the parts and noticed that the dust cover was bent in towards the center bottom so were thinking thats whats adding pressure or making it fit too tight. hopefully thats it. another thing is the pilot bushing ive tried 2 different bushings and they dont seem to fit very well. any suggestions on how to install or if there are different sizes of bushings. thanks

Dust cover? You mean the engine plate that is between flywheel and block and sandwiched between block and trans when bolted up? Can't see it locking the engine up.

Look on the inside of the bell housing... is the pressure plate rubbing??? Is there a big scratch??

Better post a picture of the transmission as you aren't sure which one you have.

• 1 month later...

sorry it took a while to post back. looks like the problem was the dust cover i was using for some reason. we took out the trans and removed the dust cover and we seen where it was rubbing or getting stuck at. we looked around for any other issues before we put it back in. that seemed to solve that problem. now i have another problem that ill post on a new thread. thanks for all the help.