engine wont turn over after installing transmission

pekasdam

hi there, i have a 1969 datsun 510 with a ka swap im having a problem with the engine not turning when the transmission is installed. it turned over before it was mated but didnt check again after. not sure whats going on. any help or input is appreciated.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@510 freak yeah it turned over when we put power to the starter before we installed trans and now it will not turn over manually

@datzenmike engine is from a 90's 240 got it from marcosat the sr20 shop in gardena. transmission looks like its from a 90's hardbody

@Stoffregen Motorsports no it wont turn over even when the clutch is engaged. we were kinda having a hard time when we put in the pilot bushing in. the first one was a brass one. it if too tight and ended up breaking. the second one was like an aluminum we got that one in better than the brass one but the trans fit really snug. would that be a possible reason why it wont turn over when tranny is on? 

@Stoffregen Motorsports no it wont turn over even when the clutch is engaged. we were kinda having a hard time when we put in the pilot bushing in. the first one was a brass one. it if too tight and ended up breaking. the second one was like an aluminum we got that one in better than the brass one but the trans fit really snug. would that be a possible reason why it wont turn over when tranny is on? 

Even if the pilot bushing was welded to the crank and the input mainshaft of the transmission it would still turn over and run.

You say the transmission fit 'really snug' ... do you mean the bolts were hard to tighten up? Or hard to mate the trans to the block?

As this was an automatic, what flywheel and what pressure plate are you using?

Did you make sure the transmission was good before installing it? 

You're going to have to remove the transmission.  Then see if the input shaft turns, because one possibility is the transmission is damaged and the input shaft is "locked" in place.  Even then, though, disengaging the clutch shoudl let the engine turn over.

Another possibility is with this frankenstein combination you've managed to jam the flywheel and/or pressure plate into the bellhousing.  Or something extremely serious happened in the engine between then and now.  But you're gonna have to pull things to find out.

@datsunaholic yes the trans was running and fit fine on the other engine. now that engine was a frankenstein thats why i decided to go with another more complete engine. okay i didnt think of the flywheel or plate being stuck/jammed in bellhousing but its possible. thanks. ima have to remove it and take another crack at it.

Will it crank with the trans in neutral? Did you pull this plug out of the back of the crank?

8849812E-AF37-44B4-9D1D-EC2EA910B913-521

This is what datzen mile was talking about.

Looks like this installed

D5540B32-2D8E-4E7A-8E4C-B65F91E104AA-521

What it should look like.

9220AB02-07E3-41B6-82BF-9AD826EE8F32-521

From what you described about the pilot using breaking, I think that adapter is still in there. I had the same problem you had. Problem is the ID of that plug is very close to the OD step up on the input shaft behind the pilot shaft and it galls together.

I pulled mine out with a pilot bushing puller/blind hole puller. If you don't have one you can rent from auto zone etc