overheated brakes...

Well, while I was driving home yesterday and I managed to severely overheat the brakes on my 1992 cressida...

IMAG0385.jpg

^Notice the smoke.  The picture didn't capture it all.  It was smoking for some time... I drove it without using the brakes for a while to try to cool them.

I did notice them start to fade while driving, but I thought nothing of it because they are all wheel vented disc brakes ... I guess its not enough for the 3500lb chassis.  :rofl:

Now they don't work so well. Spoogy pedal, ABS kicking in sooner, ect.  I've gathered a list of things I know I should change, does anyone else have any information on what else I should inspect or parts that could have been damaged?

*fluid will need to be flushed with new DOT3/4 ( maybe a higher grade 4...)

*Brake pads may be toasted(literally), replace with higher grade carbon/metalic/ceramic?

*Possibly melted wheel bearing seals ?  inspect caliper seals?

The rears had a bit of smoke coming from them, but not nearly as much as the fronts.

Is it very bad, or maybe the smoke was because of organic/eco pads ? I'm not sure what the shop installed last. 

This is a daily, I usually do not drive it this hard but I was coming back from an area that has a back road straight to my house ... And I have not really messed around on these tires since I got them.

Edit, for the record... I replaced the front calipers and bled all the lines(32oz bottle of fluid) and the brakes work fine now.

The fluid was dark before I flushed it out... And parts of the pads are christalised/burned... lul

I found the rev limiter... BWABABABABABA 6500rpm ... mad skiids.

• Like 11
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoah bro ..... TIME-OUT !

original.gif

2 things.

You should have gone a few more miles like that ... then open up a chang's mongolian grill centered around the smoking rim ... ???? ... profit !

what I really wanna know is how do you get ghosted spammers to +1 you ... ? 

• Like 1

DTP-

The brakes were gone when I stopped to take a pic, like if I had kept using them they would have stopped working.  And turned red.  Like brembos, yo.

I then proceeded to drive using engine braking, to cool everything.

These damn 15's don't have enough airflow for those brakes.  Tempted to get Z32 rims, but these are new michelin tires...

I was about to break out the marshmellows and make some smores, but den I realised I dont have any.

+1'd?  Easy.  Spammers are bitches, and bitches cant get enough of me.   :rofl:

Protip-  F* this road.  Overheated my brakes on this road, blew the head gasket of my 510 on this road, and now I was following some slow dick prius too close and he decided to brake check me and wrecked my cressida on this road.

F* this road. 

I WILL CONQUER IT.

F* my cressida I wish I could put Z32 brakes on it.

Having 3 cars sucks. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

when brakes get hot, and especially if they overheat, they can turn the moisture in your

brake fluid (brake fluid = hygroscopic [attracts/absorbs water])

into water vapor. which is the same as having air in your lines because air compresses, rather than

pushing the brake fluid.

so, bleed your lines and replace with new fluid.

when brakes get hot, and especially if they overheat, they can turn the moisture in your

into water vapor. which is the same as having air in your lines because air compresses, rather than

pushing the brake fluid.

DOT4 fluid is "less" hyroscopic but not infinitely so, it is a better choice.  DOT5 is non-hydroscopic BUT is silicone based and is that High School physics "impossiblity" of a compressable fluid.  It's great stuff but feels spongy at best.  Autocross maybe, but not something you would want for ordinary street driving.

pushing the brake fluid.

I did.

I thought it was obvious so I didn't even post it.   Its a daily, just put some autozone somethingorother DOT3/4 fluid.  Bled the lines through quite a bit, brakes work fine now.

One thing I've been trying to work out for years, when I'm idling at a stop holding my brakes idle dips ~590rpm and starts to vibrate a bit, when I idle in gear with ebrake on it does not do this.  

I'm thinking the brake booster could be going bad? I can't find a vac leak, but the pedal is a bit hard. 

yeah it might be obvious for you and i, but stating it might teach an unfamiliar reading somethin new :)

and yeah first thing i would think of is brake vacuum. could be the booster going but i would check the valve first

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, there has been a newer introduction of "DOT4 plus" fluid.  Some newer cars and trucks specify this as the mandatory addendum / replacement.  I sincerely doubt that any of this forum's members own anything so new as to require this fluid, but since it is supposed to have even more moisture absorbance characteristics it might be a good alternative for the biennial drain and full flush exercise.