weber carb choking out

bryant2482

this just started happening a few months ago. i have a weber 32/36 on my z24 and everytime i go to crank it up on a cold start i do the usual press on the gas to close the choke and let it warm up. well lately after about 10 seconds of running the engine starts to bog down and starve for air, then i press the pedal again and everything is fine! the engine returns to normal. im trying to figure out if i need to adjust my choke. i checked my electric choke wire and im getting negative 12 volts going to it. oh and just letting you know i have had the weber for qlmost 2 years and it never did this before

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this just started happening a few months ago. i have a weber 32/36 on my z24 and everytime i go to crank it up on a cold start i do the usual press on the gas to close the choke and let it warm up. well lately after about 10 seconds of running the engine starts to bog down and starve for air, then i press the pedal again and everything is fine! the engine returns to normal. im trying to figure out if i need to adjust my choke. i checked my electric choke wire and im getting negative 12 volts going to it. oh and just letting you know i have had the weber for qlmost 2 years and it never did this before

Negative 12 volts? You mean positive? Negative is ground. 

Is your choke closing all the way? 

The red wire on the choke heater should warm it up and the choke open in about 8-10 minutes.

It may be set too rich but likely the fast idle can is maybe not working. When you step on the gas to set the choke the fast idle cam should also set. It places itself so that the throttle closes against it and is held open slightly to give it more air and rev up.