Headliner removal in 73 Datsun 620.

Hey fella's,

I know this is probably a noob question, but...i"ve searched everywhere and i've already tried removing my headliner(so I can re-wrap it in some fabric I got) but i've gotten no where. I'm afraid if I try any harder that i'm going to thrash my headliner unit.

So is there an easy way to remove my headliner? Any tips or secrets?

Please, ANY help would be great!

Thanks guys!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just removed the headliner in my 1200.  Couldn't figure it out to save my life.  After getting it out (car is a shell, no glass, nothing, headliner is last to come out), I thought a little bit about how to reinstall a new one (yep, I cut the little bastard out).  The rods have tension when they are in the upward  position and no tension when in the downward position.  They rotate up and then have tension.  Could I insert the rods in the headliner, install them in the down postion, push the whole thing towards the rear of the car and have it rotate in maybe even without tearing the headliner?  I hope so...just gotta get a new headliner.

I know this post probably didn't help, but I sure do feel better.

You can see how the headliner wraps around to the exterior side of the windshield in post #4 of this thread.

This is a picture of a 720 but from what the guys are saying above Datsun did the same thing with the 620.  The headliner also wraps to the outside of the back window, so it's a convoluted process to get the headliner out intact.  You can get to a part of the sides without a whole lot of drama by peeling back the doorjamb weatherstripping and removing the pillar plastic.  Nissan used some kind of dual-sided sticky tape to attach the headliner to the body, so if you peel it back you'll probably have to replace the tape, or use something else like maybe little dabs of hot glue.  Hot glue might be a little too permanent...

The headliner hoops aren't difficult to get out once you've got the headliner peeled back from the windshield, pillars, and door jamb.  Just get under the first one with a crewdriver and carefully pry it out.  Emphasis on "carefully".  One slip of your prying device and you could easily rip the headliner material.