73' 620 Rear Drop question...

Hey Guys,

I need your input on a little discussion I overheard at the Datsun Pickup section at a recent show. First of all I installed 2 inch Blocks in the rear thinking 3 inches would be too much,come to find out that 2 inches is not nearly enough! I heard that removing 2 leafs out of the rear equals a full inch of drop,(not to mention by removing the 2 lower helper springs gives you a gain of clearance of the lower shock plates). Have any of you experimented with this? Thanks,Martin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I 1st lowered my 620 my leaf pack had 5 leafs...

tractionbarsoff.jpg

I removed the middle 3..........

rearsuspleafsoff.jpg

& then later added a 3 inch block & it sat like this...

919lowered3.jpg

At this point the axle was close to the frame & would bottom out alot [bumpstops removed]. How many leafs does yours have now? If you do remove any make sure to leave the thick bottom one & plan on replacing the bolt that holds them together [grade 8 bolts] & youll need to round off the heads. Remember too that this will lesssen your payload but if you dont haul anything it's not really an issue.

I pulled out the second shortest leaf the other day and it really did NOT do much. Seems to have settled since then with driving, but at most 1/2 inch. Definitely LEAVE the big support leaf at the bottom! If you EVER haul anything without it...you will wish you had left it. I plan on going back into it for the next longest leaf.:)

When I 1st lowered my 620 my leaf pack had 5 leafs...

tractionbarsoff.jpg

I removed the middle 3..........

rearsuspleafsoff.jpg

& then later added a 3 inch block & it sat like this...

919lowered3.jpg

At this point the axle was close to the frame & would bottom out alot [bumpstops removed]. How many leafs does yours have now? If you do remove any make sure to leave the thick bottom one & plan on replacing the bolt that holds them together [grade 8 bolts] & youll need to round off the heads. Remember too that this will lesssen your payload but if you dont haul anything it's not really an issue.

HOW WAS YOUR RIDE QUALITY AFTER WITH ONLY 2 LEAFS???

HOW WAS YOUR RIDE QUALITY AFTER WITH ONLY 2 LEAFS???

Well it was alot less stiffer than before & rode ok. But...the frame was close to the axle & would smack it on big bumps. At that point a 2 inch block would have prevented that but i wanted to be as low as possible:D

• 2 weeks later...