exhaust routing

Siqx20

I know alot of threads have been made on exhausts. but i have a little different question. Im curious how ppl are running their exhausts on their slammed 620's mine is all smashed ands bent to shit. so i want to replace it here pretty soon. im standing here looking at it and i cant see much of a better way to route it then is is, how does other ppl have it? if its better i want to show the exhaust shop. lets see some pics!

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about doing something like this:

driveshafthoop.jpg

My driveshaft was right through the crossmember. I cut it out and welded a piece of 10" water pipe in. Everything is structurally sound. Maybe cut a half moon section out and weld in a curve of pipe to strengthen.

My setup: 

_DSC0124.jpg

You can pretty much see here what the issue is that we're running into Mike. 

It sits WAY loo close to the torsion bar. Mine actually taps the torsion bar on a daily basis when taking off. If you got rid of the torsion bars, you can pretty much guarantee that it will run over the crossmember, but there's no clearance unless you do that. If you were good, you MIGHT be able to make it work, but it would be so close to the transmission, you may not get the transmission out unless you cut the exhaust.

_DSC0208-2.jpg

_DSC0093.jpg

^ oh yeah, that was another option.
drill a hole to run it through, preferably reinforcing the hole after.

the welder had to modify (heat/bang) the floor board or whatever to get my pipe around

the torsion bar like that.

i was worried about it being close and making contact, as well as giving off too much heat,

but the exhaust mounts that fabbed up stopped any movement, and the special 13 gauge

pipe reduces the heat given  off.

before taking it to the shop i went to, i had considered oval exhaust pipe for the really low clearance areas
Oval%20Exhaust%20Tubing.jpg

but that stuff is expensive.

another option was to make your own oval by filling

a section with sand and then applying pressure (hammer or vise.)

this would only gain you maybe an inch or so more of clearance though