Can anyone show me how an A13 egr work??? Like diagram or something?

Slinky Dogg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on the side of the intake just below the carburetor on the driver's side. There is a smaller manifold bolted to the main intake and this contains the EGR and the PCV valve. The EGR is mounted to the front on the smaller manifold and will have a small metal pipe joining it the exhaust below it.

It's very possible that someone else has removed this small manifold on the side and fashioned a block off plate. to cover it. People think that by removing the EGR that they will somehow find some extra hp.

It's very possible that someone else has removed this small manifold on the side and fashioned a block off plate. to cover it. People think that by removing the EGR that they will somehow find some extra hp.

It may also have been removed to run a Weber carb. On the A series manifold the EGR sits to high and hits the Weber, at least with the 2 piece adapter. I don't know on the taller adapter if it would clear.

Slinky, I have a 1974 FSM. I'll see if I can get a scan of the relevant page(s) later tonight when I get home.

All gas engines produce varying levels of oxides of nitrogen. This happens under extreme peak temperatures and pressures inside the combustion chamber. What was found was that if you dilute the air fuel slightly with inert gasses (that should read air without oxygen, exhaust is perfect for this as the oxygen has all been burned with gas) the peak temperatures drop and oxide formation also drops.

The NAPS system does this two ways. Dual plugs shorten the burn time so there is less time for nitrogen to mix with oxygen and the dual plugs allow a leaner mixture to still burn when more EGR is used.

An advantage of EGR is there is a reduced risk of pre ignition from a cooler combustion chamber at normal speeds.

In all cases, there is NO EGR at idle and full throttle... so effectively, wide open throttle performance is unaffected.

A disadvantage is that if the EGR valve isn't cleaned every 30K it can stick slightly open and this would be a vacuum leak which would adversely affect idling.