'70 Wagon KA24E-T

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reworking the fuel system to get it up to par I started with the fuel tank as the pre-pump filter had gathered a bit of rust.

Did the Por-15 tank restore process. Seems to be okay.

Before:

20131026_165521_zpsdacbd532.jpg

IMG_5449_zps99ae2449.jpg

After cleaning:

IMG_5450_zps5c897264.jpg

IMG_5441_zps66910a5e.jpg

Finish coat:

IMG_5457_zps252dce1a.jpg

And here's the Tanks Inc. PA in-tank fuel pump conversion kit. Went with the 190lph fuel pump.

20131026_142446_zpsc015d082.jpg

Assembled:

20131109_134513_zpsef0bda5e.jpg

In-tank kit installed with new fuel lines:

20131109_164132_zps040268a7.jpg

20131109_164128_zps7f9e9b8a.jpg

That kit seems to be pretty basic but functional in design. The hardest part of the install was getting all the holes to line when bolting the top plate to the inner ring. Car isn't running so can't say how it works.

Might notice the assembly has a bit of lean to it. That's because I was trying to keep the tray flat to the bottom. The top of the and bottom of the tank aren't perpendicular to each other. See below.

20131109_121410_zpsf4c55a6f.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Got the car started around New Years as was my goal. However, still have to get to get in the electronics--which includes elec. boost controller. So you can imagine any cruising I have done has been without boost. Also the poly mounts vibe pretty good.

Here's a video of the 1st idle. You can still here the lifters ticking, but after more idling they quieted down. Head was rebuilt couple years before I took over the car so still gots life to it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The wagon runs boosted. It's been a fun couple days driving around the block doing the WOT runs.

20140321_161526_zpsnfqu4oov.jpg
20140322_191700_zps7mjjfew7.jpg
20140328_094302_zpsgug0bugt.jpg

Here's a video of the playback from the Greddy Profec boost controller recording Boost, AFR and EGT on a 3rd gear pull to 4800rpm. I hadn't thought of it but I should opened up the exhaust cutout. Not a bad tune as is.

And a vid of the wireless cutout in operation.
Badlanze Remote E-Cutout:

Not much to report on the body other than I got all the lights installed and working. The plan is to make it road worthy and legal hopefully in the next couple weeks. Gonna start putting together the interior.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Plates out of storage, car totally legal and have been running the wagon ratty and hard for a few weeks now. It's been an absolute blast and menace to drive. I'm glad I scored this car instead of what I originally was gunning for--classic Toyota.

Here's a vid of quick rolling 2nd 3rd. Didn't really floor it as at the time of this vid I still had stock 240sx clutch setup, slipped when gas was mashed.

Just swapped in a newly tuned DOHC KA ECU from R.S. Enthalpy to replace the SOHC JWT  ECU. It runs, but since SOHC don't have knock sensor and I haven't had chance to install one, I'm needing either a retune or to install a knock sensor. Going to try both. There are a few benefits with this new ECU, it adds Nissan Consult capability for datalogging and troubleshooting, can add knock sensor(although not so sure how useful it will be), but mostly it has dual map function. So I currently have one map tuned for pump only and one for pump/methanol injection. 

Snow Performance Stage 2 kit. Got an awesome deal on this kit and all it needed was new tubing.

IMAG0086_zpstnwwceb9.jpg

Had to change the clutch from the stock 240sx KA to "White Bunny" kit by using D21 clutch kit on Fidanza 280Z flywheel. So far, its been good.

IMAG0041_zps7d3e56ed.jpg

IMAG0044_zps74ff5490.jpg

Also finished up the rear disc conversion by installing a hand brake. Contemplated a line-lock for a while but its been said to be unreliable used as a handbrake. Wound up using Lokar cables with 280ZX handbrake lever with some random hardware to tie it all in. Lever needs a boot and trim but its all functional.

IMAG0078_zpspawgy8qg.jpg

IMAG0079_zpsqqpftyrl.jpg

Now need to get on the body.

IMAG0084_zpskdhlh2fy.jpg
IMAG0085_zpsnbe182fg.jpg

• Like 3