Hey Ratsun! Been lurking, but I'll introduce myself

kuro_Yosh

What's up everyone! 

Me
My name's Yosh & I've been an avid lurker on this forum for quite a long time.  I'm 21 & I have an NA FC that I'm slowly going to be building into a potent time-attack/tandem car.  It's not in a pic worthy condition atm, so we'll just forget about it for now lol.  BTW, I just want to say that a lot of you guys have some amazing projects going here on Ratsun & they're all great sources of inspiration. It's on my bucket list to be building awesome projects like some of you are currently doing.

Datsuns

I've been a Hakosuka, 510, & Z(especially) fan for as long as I can remember.  The first time I've actually seen an S30 was around 12 years ago.  It was orange, & I was walking with my mother near the Strip District in Pittsburgh.  I didn't know much about cars then but I instantly fell in love. It looked almost brand new. Just the way the car looked as it cruised by did the trick for me.  Little did I know back then, that that car was already 30+ or so years old.

I have yet to own a Z, but I've been searching for a 240z that's "the one" for ages. The biggest problem with me wanting one is that I'm in Pittsburgh, which is on the east coast. From what I can tell, almost every clean Z that's for sale is usually located on the west coast. The only finds I've had near me are either rusted/wrecked/rotted out or ridiculously overpriced. I'm hoping to find something drivable by summer simply because I've always wanted to be an owner of an S30, & their also almost non-existent around PA.

etc..
If there'd be anyway I could some of you guys to "critique" some of the 240z's that I come across & consider buying, that would be great! If not, that's all right & I'll do my best to figure things out on my own.  I'm not a complete noob when it comes to S30's but a few pointers from people that know their stuff would be helpful!

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up everyone! 

Me

My name's Yosh & I've been an avid lurker on this forum for quite a long time.  I'm 21 & I have an NA FC that I'm slowly going to be building into a potent time-attack/tandem car.  It's not in a pic worthy condition atm, so we'll just forget about it for now lol.  BTW, I just want to say that a lot of you guys have some amazing projects going here on Ratsun & they're all great sources of inspiration. It's on my bucket list to be building awesome projects like some of you are currently doing.

Datsuns

I've been a Hakosuka, 510, & Z(especially) fan for as long as I can remember.  The first time I've actually seen an S30 was around 12 years ago.  It was orange, & I was walking with my mother near the Strip District in Pittsburgh.  I didn't know much about cars then but I instantly fell in love. It looked almost brand new. Just the way the car looked as it cruised by did the trick for me.  Little did I know back then, that that car was already 30+ or so years old.

I have yet to own a Z, but I've been searching for a 240z that's "the one" for ages. The biggest problem with me wanting one is that I'm in Pittsburgh, which is on the east coast. From what I can tell, almost every clean Z that's for sale is usually located on the west coast. The only finds I've had near me are either rusted/wrecked/rotted out or ridiculously overpriced. I'm hoping to find something drivable by summer simply because I've always wanted to be an owner of an S30, & their also almost non-existent around PA.

etc..

If there'd be anyway I could some of you guys to "critique" some of the 240z's that I come across & consider buying, that would be great! If not, that's all right & I'll do my best to figure things out on my own.  I'm not a complete noob when it comes to S30's but a few pointers from people that know their stuff would be helpful!

Thanks for reading!

Seriously ship one from the West coast should be in the ~1000$ range. Do you have an idea of budget yet? Several people have one up for sale.  $4-5000 would get you a running decent condition one (say $4000 plus shipping $1000).

• Like 1
Pic worthy or not... I'd post em. You been lurking y that long, you know we love pics. Welcome by the way.

It's currently sitting in my buddy's barn, but I'll get some pics of it next time I'm there & post them for you guys! Thanks for the welcome :)

Pics or it's a Honduh. Welcome to the forum.

I've actually owned a CRX.. Haha it was a complete pos & rusted to shit, but I loved that car!  Handled like it was on rails.

I'll have pics of my FC soon! Thanks for the welcome :)

Seriously ship one from the West coast should be in the ~1000$ range. Do you have an idea of budget yet? Several people have one up for sale.  $4-5000 would get you a running decent condition one (say $4000 plus shipping $1000).

I only have around 2.5k at the moment.. If I don't find anything in the coming months I'll take shipping one from the West Coast into consideration because I'll have more money by then!

welcome to the fun! i had a similar experience when i was a kid. now i own at least 3. one daily driver and at least two worth in spare parts.

Thanks man! How is it to daily a Z? I'm sure there's little things here & there that get annoying but from what I can tell, they can be pretty reliable!

The arm rest on the drivers door drives me nuts. It's not quite big enough to rest your elbow on when your in the seat for a few hours without your arm going numb

Haha that sounds like a nuisance, but I'm sure everything else about the car outweighs that down side

Anyways though, what do you think guys? Would you guys go ahead & buy this Z if you were me? 

If you guys think it's worth saving, I might go ahead & take it off the guy's hands. He only wants 1k for it.

I'm not too concerned about most of the areas that seem rusty, except for the doglegs. To me that signifies that the rest of the underside of the car would have corroded quite a bit. I'm no Z expert though, so I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

Description

Got this as a restoration project but really don't have the $ to get started.

-Body is very straight, no cracks or dings in glass, trim is still shiny, motor and suspension is all intact and pretty straight.

-Floor pans have some rust spots.

-Car was parked in '86 and was running, 91,735 miles.

-Car is complete except for fuel tank. Bumpers and grille not shown in pics are included.

Pics

zzzzzzzzm.jpg

zzzzzzzke.jpg

zzzzzf.jpg

id make sure the frame underneath isnt rusted to shit. i havent seen a z car that doesnt have some rust hiding somewheres. hows the interior? id do a search on here to familiarize yourself with the cancer prone spots. 

id make sure the frame underneath isnt rusted to shit. i havent seen a z car that doesnt have some rust hiding somewheres. hows the interior? id do a search on here to familiarize yourself with the cancer prone spots. 

Yeah I realize these cars are 40+ years old so rust is expected haha. I have no idea how the interior is, but I'll find out soon.  I asked the guy for pics of the underside, frame rails, interior, rear/hatch, battery tray, strut towers, & the engine bay. Hopefully they'll be enough to figure out just how bad the cancer has gotten to it. I'm hoping the guy gets back to me soon, & as soon as I get some pics I'll post them up!

I could see that as a sticking point in the deal. Lol. ".....I'll take your money and give u the title... But the dog is fairly certain the car belongs to him. I'll let you two work out the details on that....."

Hells yeah! Buy a car... Get a dog FREE!!

That's a deal you can't pass up!

I could see that as a sticking point in the deal. Lol. ".....I'll take your money and give u the title... But the dog is fairly certain the car belongs to him. I'll let you two work out the details on that....."

Haha the dog makes up for most of the guys asking price IMO

Still don't have a Z yet, but I picked up this 1970 L24 with the 4-speed attached today for a steal!

The guy told me it only had 69,000 miles on it. Judging from the condition it's in, I do believe him!

(sorry for the slightly blurry pics)

img0094pzy.jpg

img0100oue.jpg

img0098xy.jpg

The guy had a few project together in his garage. Needless to say, he is doing it right!

img0096oj.jpg

Info pulled from zhome.com:

inspect the frame rails on both sides of the car. Look for rust where the frame rails meet the uni-body. Usually under the battery on the inner-fenderwell and on down to the frame rails. Over time, battery acid cleans the paint off the sheetmetal, and then it rusts completely though.ZRustGraphic.jpg

IMO, rust is the biggest thing to worry about. It can be expensive to get repaired properly. If you take your time you can find a Z in good condition. I found mine through a shear stroke of luck. Just happened to be browsing craigslist at just the right time. http://www.zhome.com/ has a lot of good information. I'm not sure if carl beck is active here, but I know he is still fairly active on classiczcars and has a lot of knowledge on the early Z.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Info pulled from zhome.com:

inspect the frame rails on both sides of the car. Look for rust where the frame rails meet the uni-body. Usually under the battery on the inner-fenderwell and on down to the frame rails. Over time, battery acid cleans the paint off the sheetmetal, and then it rusts completely though.ZRustGraphic.jpg

IMO, rust is the biggest thing to worry about. It can be expensive to get repaired properly. If you take your time you can find a Z in good condition. I found mine through a shear stroke of luck. Just happened to be browsing craigslist at just the right time. http://www.zhome.com/ has a lot of good information. I'm not sure if carl beck is active here, but I know he is still fairly active on classiczcars and has a lot of knowledge on the early Z.

I've looked over the info you've provided, thanks for the resource & for the tips!  Definitely going to help me a lot! 

I bought a 240Z! I still have to pick it up(6 hours from me & I work 24/7, just need to find time), but it's paid for.  

I haven't seen it in person, & it has a salvage title. It's a 73'.

The guy was very honest about the car & very straight-forward with me. The car also doesn't seem to have anywhere close to as much rust as other 240Z's I was looking at. If it wasn't for all that(and the price lol), I wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

I only have a few pics that were sent to me, so just bear with me

Here's a pic of how the car was before the damage:

img0410cu.jpg

Here's pics of after:
img0412kv.jpg

img0413sz.jpg

Engine Bay:
img0411uf.jpg

The PO told me some tree limbs fell on the roof, which gave the car the salvage title.

However the rest of the car looks like it's in very decent shape, & IMO the damage on the roof is bad...but not absolutely terrible. I'd like to hear some of your opinions guys! What do you think?

Worst comes to worst, I can part it out & find another Z. I would like to try & rebuild it though  :thumbup:

Not so bad, but not so good, If you're good at body work, well then thumbs up for you man. It also seems like you'll need a new hatch by the looks of it. But not so bad, how much did you pay for the z?

I'm not the best with body work but I have some friends that are great & they'll help me out where I need it.  I've already sourced a roof & hatch in good condition so I think I'm just going to replace both. I paid $500 for the Z, which I think was a steal. Thanks for the input man!