alternator upgrade

so i have been doing a ton of research on mulitple upgrades for a 510/L16 alternator upgrade andf the one tht caught my eye was the KA24E alternator......

so being friends with multiple 240sx guys has its advantages. i talked to a couple friends about "junkyard" upgrades for 240sx's and they brought something up that i haven't seen yet(maybe i havent looked hard enough). but the junkyard upgrade for the ka24 is the nissan quest alternator at 105 amps(dont quote me, i know its above 100).

the reason why i bring this up is this; has anyone attempted to do the nissan quest alternator upgrade in a 510 or datsun in general?

sorry if this has been brought up before, i dont get along with the search engine on this site.....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the pulleys wont match up (L motor uses V-belts, KA-e a 4 groove serpentine, Quest uses a 5 belt serpentine). Shouldnt be too hard to change but its something to note. I can't comment on using the KA-e alt in the L motor but I know that the quest alt (115 amp I believe) is in an almost identical case to the KA unit. only difference is the lower bolt hole is a smaller diameter on the quest alt so it needs drilling out. 

the mounting setups are REAL similar. I wouldnt be surprised if it was an easy job getting the KA or Quest alt onto an L motor. If you can get one on the other will work. So if you can borrow a KA alt from one of your buddies with a 240 you can figure out the mounting logistics before buying an expensive new KA or Quest alt.

The Ford Mercury Villager uses .... a... VG30 motor. One of the models uses a 120 amp alt and all use at least a 90 amp.

My most recent up grade is an '02 Altima 100 amp alt. into my 710 goon. The stock L20B pulley fit right on but I had to buy and slice the bolt that holds it on. Used an electric impact wrench to hammer it on and then used a punch to peen it over to prevent it backing off. It's in the text. Fit on the stock block mount, although I did grind some metal away for clearance.