L20 head

Ok this is what I got- L16 block and intake for weber down draft and of course an L 20 head.  I have two questions.  The intake ports for the intake are way smaller than the ports on the head.  Should I just leave it or try to port match it to the head?  Question 2.. What is the deal with the sleeves in the exhaust ports on the head?  Iv'e never seen anything like that before. When I lap the valves and clean up the head should I keep the sleeves or lose them?  I'm not going for lots of power but I take it where I can get it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean sleeves as in metal fin looking things built into the port, then they are for emissions (if its the same as the later L28 heads). The runners get really hot and burn off extra crap in your polluting exhaust. I've heard they are a bitch to remove, but I've also seen people just do a complete port job on them and they look just the same. If you want to leave it practically stock then just leave them be. 

The only time I've heard any horror stories is when someone ran a turbo with a head like that and it got got and a chunk went into his compressor. 

First it's not a good idea to run an L20B head on a smaller L16. The correspondingly larger combustion chamber will lower your compression to 7.72 from 8.58 and make it sluggish. Better would be a closed chamber head or best, the stock 210 L16 head.

You have a W58 head marked between the #1 and #2 spark plugs down low.

headW58P-nut.jpg

These have round exhaust ports and don't match the stock L16 exhaust manifold BUT you can run it that way using an L16 gasket. The metal sleeves inside are held away from the cooler port walls so they will heat up orange hot from the exhaust. This will ignite any unburnt fuel and reduce emissions.

If you mean sleeves as in metal fin looking things built into the port, then they are for emissions (if its the same as the later L28 heads). The runners get really hot and burn off extra crap in your polluting exhaust. I've heard they are a bitch to remove, but I've also seen people just do a complete port job on them and they look just the same. If you want to leave it practically stock then just leave them be. 

The only time I've heard any horror stories is when someone ran a turbo with a head like that and it got got and a chunk went into his compressor. 

I figured that it was for emissions, but this is Iowa ha ha ha ha  we don't care about emissions!! :rofl:   Anyway I don't think i'll do anything big like pistons or turbo....This time around.

I figured that it was for emissions, but this is Iowa ha ha ha ha  we don't care about emissions!! :rofl:   Anyway I don't think i'll do anything big like pistons or turbo....This time around.

Doesn't matter-that head is still completely wrong for your application.

First it's not a good idea to run an L20B head on a smaller L16. The correspondingly larger combustion chamber will lower your compression to 7.72 from 8.58 and make it sluggish. Better would be a closed chamber head or best, the stock 210 L16 head.

You have a W58 head marked between the #1 and #2 spark plugs down low.

headW58P-nut.jpg

These have round exhaust ports and don't match the stock L16 exhaust manifold BUT you can run it that way using an L16 gasket. The metal sleeves inside are held away from the cooler port walls so they will heat up orange hot from the exhaust. This will ignite any unburnt fuel and reduce emissions.

You got to go spoil my fun don't you.  WHAT IF?? I put in some pistons out of an L24?  Do you think that would compensate for the bigger combustion chamber?  Oooh Maybe I could mill the head. Actually I don't wan't to mill the head or put in different pistons, but I would like it to be snappy.  I guess I should see if I can find a 210 head.

Shall I move this to Parts Wanted???

Stock L heads are just under 40 pounds. Less if you have the seller remove the cam and rockers. Use the W58 cam and rockers. The L20B cam is almost exactly the same specs as the L16SSS cam.

Shall I move this to Parts Wanted???

Stock L heads are just under 40 pounds. Less if you have the seller remove the cam and rockers. Use the W58 cam and rockers. The L20B cam is almost exactly the same specs as the L16SSS cam.

Naw I move it, I got more stuff I need.  I'll put it up when the $time$ is right.  The 210 head doesn't have the funky exhaust ports does it?  I'm definitely keeping the cam though. :hyper: