dogleg 521

sdsurf

On a dogleg 5spd is the shifter mounted in the same location as the stock 4spd for a 521? I saw one and looked like the truck had the gear shift in the stock location. If so what yrs and models did the dogleg come in?

Mike

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A long shaft tranny should mount up fairly easy in a 73 620 since it has a crossmember as a mount rather than a mount on a welded cross member. You will likely have to relocate it.

Long shaft 5 speed in a 521 is kinda lame since it pinches in there tight,relocates the shifter and requires a completely customized tranny mount bracket. I have a dogleg in my 72 620 and it rocks. i have another I plan to put in my 521.

If swapping from a short shaft 4 speed you will need to swap out the front of the driveline to a splined piece rather than the 4 bolt. I think. I didnt do the swap in my 620 but I will know more when I do the 521 which may be a while, after I do the brakes in the 510.

I have drive shafts for both dogleg and long tail 5spd. Which is more durable of the two? Also, the hump has been cut to fit the new shifter from a long tail.

As I understand it the FS5W71B (long) is a bit stronger than the dog leg (short). However there weren't many 200sx cars compared to all the 620/280z/zx vehicles so they have been passed around a bit.

The dog leg is the same length as the 521 but the 521 uses an output flange that the drive shaft bolts to. The drive shaft won't bolt to the dog leg as it has a straight spline output. I'm not sure how this is overcome. Perhaps the front drive shaft from a '72-'73 620?

Sorry I thought you meant which drive shaft was stronger.:rolleyes: The dogleg is known to be weaker but I have put the one in my 620 to the test and it holds up fine. L20b and up,doing power breakers might blow it out like all the short 4s I killed.

I am pretty sure the 72/73 620s had the short 4 with flange plate so it should have the same driveshaft as the 521.

Might be wrong though since the 510 had a spline right?

Sorry I thought you meant which drive shaft was stronger.:rolleyes: The dogleg is known to be weaker but I have put the one in my 620 to the test and it holds up fine. L20b and up,doing power breakers might blow it out like all the short 4s I killed.

I am pretty sure the 72/73 620s had the short 4 with flange plate so it should have the same driveshaft as the 521.

Might be wrong though since the 510 had a spline right?

Not according to my notes. The '70-'72 521 had flange output. The '72.5-'73 had the same identical tranny but with splined output, the same tranny used in the '68-'73 510.

Round about way of answering but I think I am gathering that I would be better served getting a ZX trans and using my already adapted (read cut and welded) driveshaft then bothering trying to find a dogleg.

I agree Mike. Thats what i did on my 521. The Z or ZX trannys are readily available at the yards & cheap as well.