Help with water pump replacement

Thea

Hey!

i just recently replaced my alternator belt on my 82 deisel truck and it was going fine for about 900 miles and just started squealing bad  weather it is warmed up or not. at high speeds it seems to stop but it might be just because it is at such a high frequency or the other engine noise drowns it out.

i checked the tension on the belt and it seems fine and was poking around and realized i could wobble the fan back and forth, and so i figure its the water pump somehow, maybe bearings are out?

i am relitively new to engines so this may be kind of pathetic for some of you but i am a fast learner and am good with mechanical things i just need a bit of advice on how to remove and replace the water pump.

Do i need  to order a new fan clutch? or should the old one attach somehow?

and it seems like i am going to have to remove the radiator to get at the water pump yes?

And tips or tricks? things to look out for?

thanks for your time,

-T

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IDK about diesel trucks...

But for the gas ones, just tell them the year and make of your truck (and let them know its diesel) & a clutch fan. They will get you the right one.  The fan un screws from the front of the pulley.  Remove fan, remove water pump. Install new one, re attach fan. done.

after looking at rock auto. there isn't a clutch fan for a diesel datsun... just a regular water pump.

looks like this...

42325.jpg

Either way, just remove old and install new. check to see if fan bolts are loose, verify its not the pulley flopping around first.

Use caution removing rad hoses. It's easy to twist them too hard and fuck up the solder seal. Warm engine helps. Drain and remove the rad.  Take the rad cap off will help. Almost impossible to work on otherwise. Flush out rad while you're at it.