My little Bandit.

Bandit

I decided to call the car Bandit (though I call it put put more often cause of how FAST it is  :sneaky: ) the morning I bought since all I have ever owned has been Mazda and though I could have fixed my last car for under $500 I saw the 510 and decided to go take a look. The Datsun 510 has been one of my favourite cars as well as a RX-3 so the moment I saw this I decided to snag it as fast as possible. This led me to a big loss on my last car that I had only owned for 4 months :(

PO did a few additions but its running on its stock L16 with 91xxx miles on her.
226539_473134182740369_1214847614_n_zps1

406784_473139549406499_545616508_n_zps69

Dont really have unedited photos of her right now but I will end up having some.

The hood release was a little sticky when I purchased it and I also realized that the hood wasnt staying down other than by the secondary latch. Then last night the cord decided to break off at the handle so that is my weekend project for now. Will be using this idea as its simple and cheap :D
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/19221-how-to-repair-your-hood-release-cable/

Also my carb which was rebuild about 3 years ago but installed this year decided it didnt want to keep in the gas anymore and started spraying all over my exhaust! Thank god there wasn't an engine fire since I drove it more than I should have  :blush:

Picked up some new washers that didnt fit right but held it in enough to get it home and when I went to stick better washers on ended up stripping the bolt right above the Banjo fitting so now im trying to find a replacement but nothing is open till monday  :crying:

Im starting to fall in love with how original the car but I think in the end I will stick with a L series motor and a 4 or 5  speed swap. Theres something about Dual Carbs that makes we happy in my pants  :devil:

Will be a slow build for a while trying to recoup from the loss off my last car but I cant wait to get things done!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the washers on my Hitachi carb decided to go and while I was replacing them me or my friend (we still argue about it) stripped the bolt on top of the banjo fitting making the hunt begin.

NOBODY has anything in a M8 - 1 Fine tho so I ended up picking up a whole nother Hitachi carb for a good price and stealing the bolt off of that. Made the wait a little longer but hey now I can pull this one apart and rebuild it to have a spare and learn a little bit more about them.

The gas is a little below the white line on the carb so im going to have to play with it a little bit but at idle im sitting a little over 1000 rpm which confuses me since i thought for that to happen I should be over the white line on the carb.

If anyone has some ideas that would be awesome! :D

Also the hood didnt seem to want to pop down and stay down so while taking a look at the I realized the hood release was starting to break and then eventually did.

Used one of the DIY fix's I found on this thread and grabbed a brake line for a bike lubed it up and pushed it threw the old hose thing and bam it was fixed! Wish I had thought about this when my RX-7 latch snapped :(

This led to yet another little thing that is bothering me and thats the hood, for some reason the left side of the hood is sitting lower than the right side. Is the hood just bent or is there some kind of easy fix?

Thanks again!

Took her for a spin after fixing the leaking carb and ran into another problem! YAY!!!  :poke:

Charge Batt light came on and Voltage dropped from 13 down to 11 so I took her home so she didnt die on the side of the road.
When I got back I disconnected the battery and instantly the car died so im assuming the alternator is gone.

WIll see if I can get mine recharged or source out another one I guess.

The joys of owning a 43 year old car  :rofl:

• 2 months later...

Wow forgot to update this since things havent really happened with the 510.
Turns out the positive on the battery touched the hood and fried my alternator so I replaced it.

When I purchased the car the hood was only being held down by the secondary latch so when I fixed it I guess the hood came down to far and connected.

Also, I had been looking for a 240z for a while and finally stumbled across one that was worth purchasing but because of where I live I would need to sell the 510 and after realizing that I loved the 510 to much I decided against it.

It didnt help that while I was deciding on what to do with the 510 a friend of mine who had recently swapped a V8 into his S2000 because the one he purchased had a spark plug drop into a cylinder.

Soooooo while we were talking he told me he had a F20C lying around with trans that he wanted to get rid of for the price of....well FREE  :thumbup:

I wont be doing the swap until next year so I will post the progress of the build of the swap as i tear it apart and clean er up.

will most likely upgrade the cams and if money allows get some ITB's for it as well. I know nothing of this honda stuff (ugh) so I will have to look up some info.

Heres some pics of the motor apart.

20130521_181718_zps4c5d0093.jpg

20130524_151609_zps42f6087d.jpg

Some rust is starting to bubble threw and the paint job wasnt the greatest but very minimal rust which makes me happy haha.

Seafoamed and Did an oil change today, running a little better now specially when I give it throttle.
Going to change the plugs soonish just waiting for the seafoam to make its way threw the system first.

Plugs were covered in a good amount of gunk, not 100% if oil or just carbon from the seafoam but found out one of my ignition wires doesnt want to snap on so I will have to go pick up some new wires tomorrow.

Although I would like to spend some more money towards the F20C build I might go out and nab me a weber carb to replace the stock Hitachi. Undecided tho as it seems to be running well.

Trying to find some space to work on the F20C but living in a 1 bedroom apt with a tidy gf makes it difficult lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the head but need to get a valve spring compressor and figure out a good way to get the spark plug cylinder out so I can give everything a good cleaning.
This thread should be re-names to "What the F*** am I doing"  :thumbup:

20130609_232059_zps448620e0.jpg

20130609_234928_zps4a11082f.jpg

20130609_233849_zps5006298f.jpg

20130609_235349_zps079c3613.jpg

And on a side note my GF came back from Japan with these!!!!
1369540460101_zpse9c13bb2.jpg

I wish she had gone a month earlier so she could have gotten them all but they had already changed to motorcycles  :crying: