Hitachi Carb leaking fuel.

Bandit

Havent been able to find a good answer to this so I figured I would post it up.
I have the stock Hitachi motor on my L16 that has been rebuild at some point (this is what I was told) but I noticed the car reaked of gas but when i popped the hood while it was idling I didnt see anything.

Still not sure what it was I drove out for breakfast and when the car was warming up afterwards to head home I went to show my friend the engine bay and "UH OH" gas was literally spitting out the car just above where you can see the fuel.

Sorry been so long since I have touched a carb I cant remember what things are called. I will try and get some pictures a little later but right now I have some copper washers I got on that stopped it from spraying but it is still slowly leaking.

Only had the car for like a week and it had been sitting for a while so I have been running premium in her but have lost about a full tank of gas so far so im a little frustrated >.<

On a side note any idea why my hood wont stay locked down? Its pretty much being held down with the secondary lock

Thanks guys!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when cars been sittin for awhile gaskets will leak, incl. gaskets in the carb. They have to be kept moist or else they get dry and cracked.  where exactly was it leaking?  Also when you said that carb has been rebuilt, how long ago and what makes it bad too is if it just sits there. Go on line and see diagram for your Hitachi carb and let us know where it's leaking or take a picture and post. Seems like it's leaking from top half?

When you mention gas "spitting out", it makes me think of gas under pressure from the fuel pump. So either a crack or pinhole in the short rubber fuel hose going to the carb, loose hose clamps on this hose, the hollow bolt down through the banjo fitting the rubber hose hooks to is loose, or the washers on either side of the banjo fitting are bad. Maybe this is what you were talking about when you mentioned using copper washers. When the carb was new, there was a lock thingie around the head of the bolt  through  the banjo fitting, I suppose to keep the bolt from unscrewing. Sometimes this lock clip is missing, although I'm not sure it is really needed. As long as you are messing around near the carb it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the rubber fuel hose if it looks at all old. Sooner or later it will crack and leak. Buy a couple of feet of fuel hose and replace the ones at the fuel pump and filter too.

If all that okay, try tightening the 3 screws on the front of the carb that hold the float bowl cover on, and all the screws on top of the carb. Don't over tighten anything, but be sure they are all snug.

Len

Len is thinking as I am, Bandit.......here is a pic of the banjo fitting that will tend to loosen. Best to remove the top bolt, slide the fitting off of the brass lower piece, then tighten that lower piece. Be sure your gaskets are good, be sure that little hose is good too (you can see mine was leaking there).

Good luck!

--Ray

0306131628_zpsee45956c.jpg

Thanks guys!

Sorry for the late reply my shoulders busted making things a lil complicated but yes it was the Banjo fitting.
The Carb was rebuilt 3 years ago but had been sitting until this year apparently so im guessing the washers just got old and decided to go since it wasnt doing it the first 2 days after I purchased it.

I need to make the inner hole of one of my copper washers bigger because the one I have on now is a little to thin so gas is still slightly leaking.

Glad it was a simple fix, hoping the Hitachi will last me until I do a motor swap.

Now to figure out why my hood wont stay down.

I'll make a guess on the hood problem. I think there is a spring on the hood latch where the release cable ends. When you pull the release cable inside the car, you are pulling against this spring. So the spring might be broken or unhooked. Or maybe the spring and catch just needs lube. Try spraying it good with WD40 or PB Blaster. Also spray both ends of the cable, then pull the cable a bunch of times and see if it loosens up. I suppose something could be out of alignment under the hood so the pin sticking down from the front of the hood isn't going down into the hole where the spring catch can grab it. Look carefully at the pin as it comes down toward the latch mechanism in front of the radiator to see if it is lining up.

Len

so the pin sticking down from the front of the hood isn't going down into the hole where the spring catch can grab it.

this is adjustable . the ball end may be going down to far thus making hood look like its not closing enough.

Youll loosen the Jan nut then turn the ball end in/out till hood is how you want it then tighten the jam nut.

I alwasy wd40 those threads as they seem to rust up.