KA24E help

socaldatsun

ive been looking all night but cant find the answer. I am taking off all the smag crap and vacuum lines on my ka. Every cold air intake i see has 2/3 bungs that lead to some sort of vacuum line. Are the lines from the CAI cancelled with everything else?I am making my own CAI tomorrow so just wanted to know if i even have to worry about those lines? The only ones I read on the boards was FPR and brake booster but since i dont have a brake boost i dont need it.

By any chance does any one have a clean extra KA24E wire harness? I have one already but wanted another as a back up.

thanks in advance to every one

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just gonna take a stab and say one bung is for the IACV Idle Air Control Valve (as a generalization for EFI stuff) ,,, but maybe that is a bypass in the throttle body itself as well or something of that nature.

Another could be an emmisions or pcv breather hose ... but again I don't know (off top of my head)

I haven't really worked on KA stuff enough to know.

DOH !!! why did I reply ? haha.

Every cold air intake i see has 2/3 bungs that lead to some sort of vacuum line. Are the lines from the CAI cancelled with everything else?I am making my own CAI tomorrow so just wanted to know if i even have to worry about those lines? The only ones I read on the boards was FPR and brake booster

anything that is run on vacuum will be after the throttle body.

there is no vacuum in front of it.

the spots on the CAI you have seen are going to be for things like IAC and PVC valves.

If you delete the PCV system, you will have filthy oil and a lot of oil leaks. Don't delete the PCV system. Even full-blown racecars run a real, functional PCV system.

Half of that "smog equipment" isn't there for smog reasons. EGR is NOT smog equipment, and it does improve gas milage significantly at cruise. Other than light-throttle cruise, it is not active at all in a properly functioning system...and DOES NOT rob any power from the engine. The charcoal canister? Captures fuel vapors that come from evaporating fuel left in the intake after shutdown, and vapors from the tank when the tank is hot and the gas inside is vaporizing. Doesn't hurt power at all, and keeps your engine from reeking of gas fumes.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any gear on a modern DOHC KA that really robs any power for smog reasons...except the ECU...

I'm not looking for power im looking for simplicity. I know the P/O already did alot of the deleting on the motor but trying to see what else can be pulled so i wont have the make that extra bung or run a hose to some other place. I really wanna wrap up this swap by the 24th of this month so just getting a little ahead.

Egr is for smog, it cools combustion temps for the sole purpose of lowering nox emissions, it does rob hp but shouldn't opperate at wot, so u won't notice a difference. The evap can stores fuel vapors instead of letting them in the atmosphere, the purge valve opens during a steady cruise to suck those vapors in the intake, on a efi engine it has no effect on power. If it has a pulse air system, it pumps air into the exhaust to burn off hc's and co's left over after combustion. The pcv valve is the only piece of smog equipment that actually helps and the only thing I left on my engine, it takes the blow by and runs it back through the motor, so the fuel vapor that gets past the rings can be used instead of contaminating your oil, if you feel the need to delete it run a crankcase breather or thepressure will blow a gasket and leak oil.

I have a desmogged KA-e and my intake has no air/vacuum hoses attached to it. I'm also not running a PCV. EDIT:I lied, I have a pcv system still, I suck. but you can still run a PCV valve without that bung on the intake. just put a filter on the valve cover and that becomes the intake for the PCV system.

this pic shows just the PCV system. That top hose that goes horizontal from the air cleaner to the valve cover is the hose that would go to that bung on the intake. note that it comes from in front of the throttle plate. as skib mentioned there is no vacuum here so (correct me if i'm wrong on this one anyone...) you can just run a filter on the valve cover as long as you have the lower hose and PCV valve (shown as the vertical hose) going from the crank case to vacuum (behind the throttle plate)

http://0.tqn.com/d/autorepair/1/0/-/P/accord_pcv_657b.gif

side note, I'm going to go ahead and agree with what most people are saying about it not hurting anything but you guys have to realize that a lot of smog equipment also doesnt really help or doesnt help much and as a result sometimes its nicer to just not have it...for simplicity sake like socaldatsun said. its also less to go wrong. if you remove and plug all those vacuum lines there are less chances for vacuum/pirate air leaks. just pointing out that there are different reasons to remove smog stuff, its not always about more powah

the IACV Idle Air Control Valve (as a generalization for EFI stuff) ,,, but maybe that is a bypass in the throttle body itself

also, this is (almost) correct. on the stock KA-e intake the IACV is in the manifold (near the throttle body, not the tb itself but same idea) so it needs no hose.

as for the harness, throw a wtb add up on zilvia, they throw their harnesses out when they do sr or v8 swaps, I picked up an extra in 3 days using zilvia.

also, this is (almost) correct. on the stock KA-e intake the IACV is in the manifold (near the throttle body, not the tb itself but same idea) so it needs no hose.

Right and thanks for confirming ! Maybe I was thinking of subaru's lol.

( for some reason I was thinking it needed the air bypassed from one intake tube bung's while the throttle plate is closed ,, unless I can't see the design in my head properly. IDK at any rate I'll look at my stuff again later haha. )

I apparently should have made that more clear :)

As for the PCV system I would personally keep it intact. I'm not a mechanic , but on Subaru's when those suckers get CLOGGED they will pop a seal.

But a Nissan isn't a subaru so i don't really know ! haha.

yeah no I just researched it, don't plug the PCV port, either keep the PCV valve or put a breatherr. ssnapz, is right, gaskets will be blown and oil will leak. the picture I linked helped me understand it all better.

and some cars do use a hose for the IACV, its just a valve that bypasses the throttle plate so you can still get air in the engine at idle. its just a matter of where the IACV gets its fresh air from. could be a tube going to the intake (CAI I guess, I just hate the term, too ricer lol) or in the case of the KA-e, I'm pretty sure it has air passages cast in the intake manifold. I'd check my car but its at school right now. I feel like DTP, I shouldnt have posted lol, I do know 100% sure, that my intake has NO hoses coming off of it and everything works as it should

although looking at my s13 chilton manual I'm realizing that the IACV is actually on the back of the intake, not near the throttle body (front of the intake)

do you know the part number? I have 2 KAs so I have a lot of backup parts. I may have one for you. I really just need to know what it looks like and where it is on the motor but a part number helps me get to that info. if you don't have it no biggie I'll look at my manuals when I get home today

edit: after retreading your post it sounds like it's attached to the idle air control unit at the back of the intake, I'm pretty sure I have one of those. is yours bad or do you just not have one