ka24e. acceleration cutoff issue

onefine,fivedime

hows it going guys!  so im running a single cam ka,  and have been successfully for a year now (woo!)  . but one of the main issues I have, that im not sure where to start

looking is,  when im in 5th gear on the fwy,  if I hit 3500 rpm,  I cant accelerate further until it drops back down to 3100... If I creep past it i can go all the way to whichever

. but the second i get on that gas even a little harder it cuts and wont let me till 3100.. any ideas??  i have no egr system, but didn't remove the butterflies from the intake

manifold. but after taking apart my extra motor i found that they are stuck open if you leave the little actuator attached ( like i did)... i  have no lower harness to my trans,,.

.  speed sensor??   (speed sensor circuit is one of the codes in throwing)  anyone else have one hooked up? (and how).. umm...  that's all i can really think of at the

moment.  i appreciate any help given!  id like this thing running with no flaws =)

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 speed ECUs have a rev limiter and need speed sensor input. Without it it acts all goofy. I guess this is so it won't over rev on a missed shift. An automatic ECU does not have or need the rev limiter.

Post your ECU number and I can tell you if you have the wrong one.

• Like 2

that all makes complete sense!  .. my ecu is a #14..  does that means it is an auto?..  also..  i just remembered that  my motor and ecu were from one car, and harness from another. can that pose a problem?  i believe my harness is an 89  because its missing the air intake temp sensor. pigtail  (which is another code im throwing)

• Like 1

Ya might have some other issues then. I had both #11 ecu and #14 in my 12v wagon. both worked the same. as far as the codes I could not tell a difference with AIT sensor and without it.

It threw a code with a new one hooked up to a auto ecu anyways. But i did hook up the throttle switch side of the tps which some have said were for automatics only. 

• Like 1

I've always used the 11 ECU, the others had the cut out problem.  I even went as far as trying to figure out what I could jumper on the other ECU's to get the problem to go away.  I couldn't figure it out so I just use the 11's now.  Good thing single cam shit is cheap.  None of the other engines have this problem which is weird to me. 

• Like 1
I've always used the 11 ECU, the others had the cut out problem.  I even went as far as trying to figure out what I could jumper on the other ECU's to get the problem to go away.  I couldn't figure it out so I just use the 11's now.  Good thing single cam shit is cheap.  None of the other engines have this problem which is weird to me. 

got it!  thanks a lot!,  im in process of hunting one down.  even though you all know the outcome I shall post my results here!  (I am throwing a few other codes,  wonder if those will go away too)   ...  air intake temp sensor circuit is one of them...  does that mess with performance at all?  when I took it to get dynoed (125 hp and 139 lbs ft of torque by the way!!   not bad for a tired single cam) he said it was running super rich. intake temp mess with that?

• Like 1

Most of the sensors are needed to bring the a/f ratio as close as possible to the stored fuel map in the ECU. This gives the best economy/emissions and performance. Of course the performance takes a back seat to the first two. The O2 sensor gives feedback so the ECU can fine tune the a/f ratio. Warn air would be less dense so less gas needed... but it's a very small amount and would still run when the motor is warmed up. Everything in total gives the best a/f ratio.

• Like 2
 that all makes complete sense!  .. my ecu is a #14..  does that means it is an auto?..  also..  i just remembered that  my motor and ecu were from one car, and harness from another. can that pose a problem?  i believe my harness is an 89  because its missing the air intake temp sensor. pigtail  (which is another code im throwing)

We had a similar problem with my rallycar. had a harness from a truck and sensors/engine from a car. I had 2 problems. One was the the wiring to the MAF was different then the pins on the MAF itself. Had to rewire the harness and that fixed the running rich and some stumbles it had. The other was the 5-speed/auto ecu thing. With the 5.13 differential, it would only go 80mph. I went on car-part.com and found an auto ecu. been running great for 3 years now...

• Like 2
not sure if youve found a proper ecu yet but if not just an FYI, if you pop the clutch in (dusengage the tranny) and tap the gas you'll get power back immediately without having to wait for the revs to drop back down below 3kish. that's what I've been doing lol

haha! really?!?   im getting my ecu today but im gonna have to try that!  lol  ...dammit if it works!!  x)

• Like 1
California 1989 5 speed S13.

hey datzenmike,   im getting the correct ecu today but was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me which this is for?  a11-a43-g42   .. stilltwisted is going to use it in his swap, and was going to let me borrow it to try it out , but obviously there isn't a point in doing so since the numbers are way off.  thanks!

• Like 1
hey datzenmike,   im getting the correct ecu today but was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me which this is for?  a11-a43-g42   .. stilltwisted is going to use it in his swap, and was going to let me borrow it to try it out , but obviously there isn't a point in doing so since the numbers are way off.  thanks!

A11-A43-G42... '89 S13 KA24E 9.0 compression California manual trans.

• Like 1
does it have a BIG #11 on it I thinkthey all say A11 blah blah blah on them.

There can be a Large #11 or #14 on the outer case followed by a smaller part number like A11-B17-G04 They don't all say A11-???-??? on the part number, only some '89s do, but yeah the vast majority have the A11 prefix.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...