How Do I Remove 521 Dashpad?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a search and found nothing so does anyone have info on how to remove the dashpad out of a 521?

i just removed my 521 dash pad there are 4 bolts that hold it to the firewall and 2 bolts that hold it on the sides 1 on each side 4 bolts that hold it to the actual dash frame i found it much easier to remove the whole dash hope this helps

Here's the underside of an all steel 520 dash. The hard ones to get at are the ones that hold this to the rest of the dash. They are phillips head screws that are not anchored or captured. Take some needle nose vise grips with you if you want any hope in removing them without taking out the rest of the dash. I simply pulled the dash when I got this one.

DCP_8596.jpg

DCP_8597.jpg

To pull the dash, take out the two bolts that hold the steering column to the bottom of the dash. There's one on each side holding it below the "A" pillars. Take out the glove box and speedo assy to get the 4 holding it to the firewall. The heater controls can be disconnected before or after. Wiring...disconnect after. You'll just have to pull the column down to the the dash out since it's pinched between the column and the brace.

great job mike. i've heard this question at least once before and was thinking it would be way more helpful if someone just posted a pic of the dash pad/cap while its out to show where the holes are.

what are those 520 dash cap's going for these days? i dont suppose you want to get rid of it?:D

Found the pics...there's a bunch, so I'll do thumbnails or it'll take forever to load. I'm not going to take the time to explain much, the pics should tell most of it. I didn't like how the ends came out, so I think I'll use the sewing machine and put some seams in the next one.

th_DCP_4584.jpg

th_DCP_4586.jpg

th_DCP_4587.jpg

th_DCP_4589.jpg

th_DCP_4591.jpg

th_DCP_4594.jpg

th_DCP_4596.jpg

th_DCP_4597.jpg

th_DCP_4599.jpg

th_DCP_4601.jpg

th_DCP_4603.jpg

th_DCP_4604.jpg

th_DCP_4605.jpg

th_DCP_4606.jpg

th_DCP_4607.jpg

th_DCP_4608.jpg

th_DCP_4609.jpg

th_DCP_4610.jpg

th_DCP_4616.jpg

th_DCP_4617.jpg

th_DCP_4621.jpg

th_DCP_4624.jpg

th_DCP_4627.jpg

th_DCP_4640.jpg

th_DCP_4657.jpg

th_DCP_4658.jpg

th_DCP_4660.jpg

• Like 1

I should have posted these first, but they were buried in a different file and didn't find them....and I'm to lazy to re-edit the first posting :)

This is the original dash. The ducts were broken because they hang on only one bolt...so I modified the dash to use 3 mounts. I got the hard, brittle vinyl off with a heat gun. Comes right off. Once it cools, it's extremely brittle. I dropped a piece on the floor and it shattered :) I used the angle grinder and 40 grit? disc to grind down the high spots at the cracks. I then used expanding foam insulation to fill them. A razor knife takes down the excess and the sanding block cleans it up. Then you can start with the first set of pics showing the foam covering. If you get it smooth enough, you wouldn't need the 1/4" foam, but it helps to cover any waves that are left.

th_DashOut.jpg

th_DashPadCloseup.jpg

th_DashPadTopVents.jpg

th_DashPadUnderside.jpg

th_DCP_2100.jpg

th_DCP_2101.jpg

th_DCP_2102.jpg

th_DCP_2104.jpg

th_DCP_2107.jpg

th_DCP_2108.jpg

th_DCP_2109.jpg

th_DCP_2110.jpg