510 automatic help

Well I finally got my wagon to start but we had to bypass everything to get it started. I'm hoping I can get it to work like it should with out bypassing things. For refrence the car is a 72 with floor shifting automatic.

So I need to know off the trans there are some disconnected wires. I was having trouble finding them on the diagram for a automatic 510. I was wondering if anyone knew what color connects to what? The cables seem to be disconnected on both sides.

So any help would be greatly appriciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the two Black/Yellow stripe go to the inhibitor stitch to prevent starts in any position other than Park and Neutral. Polarity won't matter, it's just a switch.

The two Red/Black stripe are for the back up lights switch.

Both sets of wires should be close together and plug in near where the shift lever on the transmission is.

I believe the two Black/Yellow stripe go to the inhibitor stitch to prevent starts in any position other than Park and Neutral. Polarity won't matter, it's just a switch.

The two Red/Black stripe are for the back up lights switch.

Both sets of wires should be close together and plug in near where the shift lever on the transmission is.

OH.. ok. So with the floor shift there should be a hole if I remove the shifter to connect the wires?

So are these wires on the driver's side? or the passenger side. I've seen wires hanging loose on both sides.

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can hook up the wires you mentioned.

If i may chime in here. Im having the same issues on my 72 wagon. Datsunmike explained to me the way to do a temp. fix is to connect the 2 black/yellow wires together & then run them up to & connect to the START prong on th eignition switch. But..make sure it's in park when you turn the key. You can probably run the wires back up the firewall & through a rubber grommet then over to the IG switch.

If i may chime in here. Im having the same issues on my 72 wagon. Datsunmike explained to me the way to do a temp. fix is to connect the 2 black/yellow wires together & then run them up to & connect to the START prong on th eignition switch. But..make sure it's in park when you turn the key. You can probably run the wires back up the firewall & through a rubber grommet then over to the IG switch.

Yeah, right now I have a ghetto rigged bypass but I'd like it better if it would do it normally. We'll see if that'll be a possiblity :lol:

I think it's wired that way now and he's trying to get it back to stock.

The earlier Borg/Warner had the wires on the driver's side, the '72 would have the Nissan 3N71B and (at least the one I have) is on the pass side. The wires are not at the shifter inside the car but where the shifter linkage connects to the side of the transmission just above the oil pan.

I think it's wired that way now and he's trying to get it back to stock.

The earlier Borg/Warner had the wires on the driver's side, the '72 would have the Nissan 3N71B and (at least the one I have) is on the pass side. The wires are not at the shifter inside the car but where the shifter linkage connects to the side of the transmission just above the oil pan.

Oh, ok. I'll take a look there and see if I can find anything.

Well I found the wires but for some reason some one attached one of the wires to the carb :confused: Anyways, one wire was cut spliced another connector on and hooked it up. Seemed to start up just fine with out the bypass.

Unfortunately I decided to test it and I have no brakes (not even a parking brake for some reason)... So stopping was a mix of my flintstone tactics and throwing it in to park... it was going maybe 5-10mph max... hopefully I didn't too much damage.. I'd assume throwing it in park is better than reverse.. Anyways it still stays in place when I put it in to part later on so I assume the damage was minor.

Now i'm trying to figure out how to keep it running. The carb appears to sputter and die shortly after starting. Wish I could hook up some sort of manual choke to keep it going. How do you know if it has a manual or automatic choke (other than no choke cable)? Will not having the block vent hooked to the intake manafold cause it to die (I assume yes)?