Removing the intake/exhaust/carburator

BlueSue

Thanks for your suggestions. I picked up a manual and a torque wrench and got going. At this point, I am attempting to remove the carburator along with the intake and exhaust manifolds as one unit. To avoid loosening the bolts which attach the two manifolds together, I am trying to figure out which bolts actually attach them to the engine. Let me know if I'm wrong, but there should be four bolts which hold the manifolds to the engine. I located eight, and it appears as though some of them are also the bolts which attach the two together. Any help or suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I freed the head from the block, I noticed a small group of wires which will need to be disconnected to remove it. Is that the ignition? If so, how do I safely disconnect it?

Also, do I need to remove the rocker arm at any point in this process, or only if I need to have the head shaved? Thanks for your help!

dude, this is like 2 hours of work, how could you not have finished yet. ;p the wires youre talking about, i assume are the ones that go to the anti-desiling sylinoid  and the electric choke.  there should be a connecter you can unplug at the front of the intake mani, under the airbox. 

the rocker arm needs to be removed before reinstalling the head and put back on only after the head is in place and torqued to specs

So, I have made a mistake. I reviewed one of the forums and found that I was supposed to have removed the push rods before the head bolts. The manuals I have don't really specify  the sequence. Beyond oil changes and brakes, it is all new to me..I just hope that I haven't really messed up. I noticed that all the push rods are free with plenty of clearance to move around except for two of them which are kind of wedged or stuck to the contact point(?). How bad have I screwed up? I haven't actually lifted the head from the block, and there is still the unidentified wire coming out from the front of the head. Should I torque the head bolts back in and then remove the push rods? I feel a bit stupid as the information about taking out the pushrods first was provided by you guys in several places on this website. I tend to learn the hard way, I guess. The reason my car overheated in the first place was because the radiator hose blew out on the freeway, and I had no idea what was wrong with it. The hoses didn't look old, but I guess they can wear and split from the inside out. Anyway, I would like to get her back on the road. I drove her from Eugene to Baker City and back last summer, which is over like five mountain ranges with no problems what so ever, I just had to replace the brake pads when I returned. The trip was awesome. Does anybody knows what I should do next (I don't want to screw anything up further)?  I really appreciate your help so far:) Thanks

you havent messed anything up, take the rocker arm off and pull the push rods out.  if you dont know why some of the push rods are tight and some are loose, then you should read up on some basic mechanics.   it has to do with where you pistons are at the time.  

the wire in the front of the head attaches to the thermostat and goes to your temp gauge, the wire should pop off fairly easily/