no spark issue

okay so i have a 521 with a l20b in it with electronic ignition. so i blew a head gasket a while back and long story short i got it all fixed. kinda. my issue is that i dont get any spark and i didnt change anything with the distributor or coil, both are new by the way. i have everything hooked up like it was so im kind of lost i checked to see if the coil gets power and it does. all my connections are in the right spot so i was thinking maybe its a fuse or something? or is this kind of common? any input would be great guys thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say it was working before the gasket change and now it isn't?? Did you remove the dizzy or wires to change the gasket?

You should have power on the + coil terminal and to the B terminal on the EI module. The distributor body is grounded to the block to complete the circuit. Be sure the dizzy is well grounded!!!

EIwiringtocoil.jpg

If you have power to the + coil and the B terminal and the dizzy is grounded..... take the cap off and crank the motor over, the rotor should turn.

Yep under that is a spring that pushes it against the rotor. I was having issues one day and sat scratching my head till I pulled it out and found that the spring was rusted in two. It carries the spark from the coil wire to the rotor. I replaced it with a fat pen spring and eventually bought a new cap and wires. The caps are pretty much the same. I paid an extra 50 cents to get the shiny cap. Spent and extra 10$ to get the good NGK wires and it was well worth it.

ok take the center coil wire from the dizzy and place near ground.1/4 or better yet about 1/8inch

now try to start. see if spark.

if no spark look awnser A) if spark look awnser B)

A)take volt meter ck blk wht wire and see if it has 12volts to the + side coil which will be B on the match box. C goes from - side coil to the C of Matchbox.

B)If you get spark di you have the plug wires in correct spot and Counter clock wise fire order. also make sure the lash pad adjustment is correct.

why would you put gasket sealer? the bolts going thru it would ground it Theres gaskets Buy them.

OH PS there is a HOT start wire also that gets 12volts in start position. Sometimes its good to hook that up to the + side coil also.

you pull out you volt meter and test for 12volts at the blk wht wire with key ON?????I assume yes as with your first post. replace the fuse anyways. could look good but ends breaking off.

you ck the spark from the center wire?

tell us how and what exactly how you cked this out. If you put another dizz make sure the plug wires are not 180degress out.

You got to tell us exactly or post photos.

Datsun ignitions are simple. you are just overlooking soemthing

So I have 12v coming out of the coil wire but no spark I have everything hooked up just like it was when the dam thing ran and still no spark!! I put a new coil and new dizzy on it now and still nothing! Oh and I replaced that fuse and still NOTHING!!!! Im so sick of the truck at this point it's not even funny

sell it.

it too complicated for you.

what coil wire is this you have 12volts??????????

the blk wht wire has 12volts with key on.

if point it goes the the ballast resisitor then to the + side coil.(point coil)

If you have a Matchbox you run the blk/wht wire to the + side of a EI coil. B to the + side coil C to - side coil.

always ck for spark at the center coil wire. Untill then it has to be coil power related.

when you say new dizzy you didnt say what kind , another matchbox or point dizzy.We re not mind readers.

sorry hainz its just frusrating becasuse ive now replaced the entire system and it still has no spark.. i have a matchbox dizzy and thats what i had on it before. i get 12v to the black and white wire and to the b side wire with the key on. and i get 12v out of the coil when the key is on but it doesnt go any higher when you crank it and it creates no spark. i have all the wires hooked up just like before when the truck ran so i know the wires arent mixed up and i even put new ends on them to see if that was it but still nothing. is there a ground somewhere im missing because thats what everyone keeps telling me ( but they dont work on datsuns).  i love datsuns for their simplicty and ease but this one is really starting to irritate me lol.

what I would try is remove the blk wht wire from the coil.

put the key to ON. see if you have 12volts Or use a test light. Must like you have the 12volts with Key On.

discconnect the starter wire.

Now turn the key to START does the blk.wht wire still have 12volts????? or maybe its like 10 volts or so? tHIS MIGHT STILL BE ok.

There is a HOT Stsrt wire that is bypassed. This will get 12volt in KEY START, find this wire. On 521s its usually a lug with 2 wires. One would come off the ballast anf the other gos to the + side coil.

You could hook this HOT START wire and hook it up with the blk/wht wire. and maybe this will work.

Im truely not a matchbox expert. But I got one working(for a guy) as one had a bad module. I didnt need the HOT START wire. But I did get spark from the center coil wire placed near ground and new it was working. Then I cked the tfire order and ck valave lash and it should start up if it has gass.

Key for you is spark. Maybe you got a bad matchbox.???

I dont know but the ground isnt all that much. there might be a tab to put a female blade connector on and just rout it to the chassis of the car. or just get a long wire and ground it to the - side batter to troubel shoot this. and ck for spark again. or just get a wire from 1 ofthe 2 screws that hold th pedastal down and route to ground and try that.

Im just hoping you got a good dizzy cap and rotor is installed.

another thing. youll get 12volts on the + side of the coil and minus side maybe just a cunt hair less. its just a wire in there..

If you got all the wires still there and stock. You could alwasy try to go back to a stock point dizzy and install the ballast and see it it runs. If yes then you can assume the new dizzy is bad and your wiring is OK .

I had a girl on here I went over and truck wouldnt start I said what the fuck.

I notice another wire on the minus side coil that went to the chassis(ground)

Well the coil wasnt fireing. I took the wire off and the thing got spark.

Then she sID oH ITS MY kILL/DISABLE SWITCH.

i SAID WHY DID YOU PUT THIS ON WHEN THE TRUCK IS BROKE ANYWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you have a tach or soemthing on here also maybe sepaerate that in case its grounding out