720 radio question....

bmacster

I've been looking forward for a radio to install in my truck, but I am at a lost at what will fit into it or how it will even mount in the thing. 

This is what came out of the truck. 

IMG_2091.jpg

And this is what remains after I took it out.

IMG_2166.jpg

And this is the radio I am going to get and modify the door panel to allow the 6x9's

How do you guys with aftermarket radios, secure the thing in there? With another spare radio I have laying around, there is no way to secure the radio since the PO hacked it all to hell. I was looking at maybe doing a custom bracket but I run into clearance issues at the back of the radio. 

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any experience with installing stereos?  Just curious.  Anyway, that new stereo should have a mounting cage that the chassis of the stereo slides into and locks it into place.  The install instructions on that Kenwood are kinda sketchy.  What you can do is measure the depth of your opening, from the front lip of the opening, to whatever the first obstruction the chassis of your chosen deck will be.  The depth should be a minimum of six to six and a half inches from the face of the dash to the first obstruction.  When it comes to mounting the cage, you can slide it into the dash and mark places to drill some holes to bend tabs into the dash to secure the cage.  Another option for getting more advice would be to swing by your favorite local stereo shop and pick the brain of the installers....

Do you have any experience with installing stereos?  Just curious.  Anyway, that new stereo should have a mounting cage that the chassis of the stereo slides into and locks it into place.  The install instructions on that Kenwood are kinda sketchy.  What you can do is measure the depth of your opening, from the front lip of the opening, to whatever the first obstruction the chassis of your chosen deck will be.  The depth should be a minimum of six to six and a half inches from the face of the dash to the first obstruction.  When it comes to mounting the cage, you can slide it into the dash and mark places to drill some holes to bend tabs into the dash to secure the cage.  Another option for getting more advice would be to swing by your favorite local stereo shop and pick the brain of the installers....

No idea on how to install. The radio isn't that big of a concern since I won't be driving it every day. I may have to go find a different dash that hasn't been hacked up. There is at least a half inch of wiggle room on the sides. It fits great in the back though. 

I did have to trim my dash to get mine in, but i measured it first and cut it a lil small to make a tight fit. Mine is so snug i have a hard time getting it out.  If yours really is cut too large you could try to find somthing to shim it with that doesn't look too ugly.

measure