New to Datsuns

Lowandslow

So this is my first time on this forum and my first time with a Datsun. I have a 1980 Datsun 720 with the original l20b. I have done some research on this truck but I still need some more help. First off, it takes 20 seconds to get from 0 - 60. I know this truck is no race car or anything but it becomes an issue when I try to get into the freeway. Is this a normal 0 - 60 time? It still has the stock hitachi carb so I don't know if that's hindering the performance of the truck or not. Secondly, is it worth swapping in a Z24 engine? Or is it about the same as the l20b in terms of reliability. I have changed the intake/exhaust manifold gasket, cleaned the carb, put in a new down pipe from the exhaust manifold back, and a new generic flowmaster type exhaust.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun  B)

It's a 720 with an L20b, be happy it is not a 4X4  :lol:, I actually cannot tell you how fast they are supposed to be, as I have only owned 720 diesels, and they likely take even longer to get to hiway speed, I myself would have to be in it to tell you if it is gutless.

The reason flatcat19 said what he said is that you did not post any photos, so they are to small for him to see.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's a Ratsun thing, we like photos a lot.

You would likely have to change everything to put a Z24 in your truck, I beleave that the actual frame mounts are differant for the engine, and your best bet would be to change the wiring harness also, as I think the napZ also has a ECU.

If your looking for more power, and you have the resources/knowledge, you will would get a lot of feedback/help/encouragement going with a VG30 of some type, as we all want more power, well and moar loar also.  :lol:

My last truck(LZ22) got up to speed pretty fast. Broken speedo-so I can not verify.

The truck prior(L16) also had a broken speedo. So I'm even more lost on an actual 0-60 time.

I will say though, neither one of them took 20 seconds.

And an L20B should reach 60 faster than an L16, stock to stock.

(Oh shit! 5,000th post!!!)

Ah, I get the comment now haha I just found out how to post pictures so I will upload what I have right now. I have started looking into swaps and I'm kinda weary about engine swaps as of right now, but I plan on getting into them. As for right now I just want to get to 60 mph in 10 seconds or less haha getting passed by semi trucks going up hills is no fun.

image_zps0f88d48f.jpg

I posted a picture of my truck when I got it and what it's like now. I will post more pictures when I get home!! (Hopefully I used the img code correctly)

Stock 0-60 was 12 to 16 seconds depending on year, engine, emissions, etc. Stock 510 was 0-60 in 12 seconds. But the 720 weighs about 600 lbs more.

To make it acclerate faster:

1. Rev the engine higher before shifting. The L20B redline is 7000, but makes best power if shifted around 5000 RPM.

2. Change the rear end gear ratio. Higher numbers make for quicker accleration. If it has 3.889 now, change to 4.375 and it will accelerate qucker and still do 80 mph.

• Like 1

Would a swap to the z24 be a better idea? Rather than rebuilding the l20b?

12 to 16 seconds is still pretty slow haha I'm going to have to get a tach to know what RPM's I'm shifting at. So the redline is 7000? That's way higher than I thought it would be! I'm trying to make it better on the highway as well, so a higher rear end gear ratio isn't something I wanna do at this moment. At 70 it sounds like the engine is screaming!! It might just be me not being used to the louder engine.

I don't care what anyone says on here, the only way you are going to get 7000rpms out of a stock L20b is to floor it in neutral, it starts to lose power/acceleration slows at about 4500rpms, and 5000rpms is just about it, unless you like listening to it howling in defiance.

An L16 or L18 might like going that high, but a stock L20b, forget it, now if you put an aftermarket cam in it, that would be differant, but when you do put a radical cam in it, you lose torque(starting out power).

I'm not trying to go 7000 RPM's at all haha that seems way to high for my taste. I think I'm going to get a tach, shift at 5000 RPM's and see what I get. If its still as slow as it is now then I will start to figure out if I want to do a swap or rebuild/build up the l20b.

I had a 521 with an L20b/5 speed, it now has a LZ23, anyway I haul debris in the truck as well as pull a trailer, I used that L20b for over 15 years, I had a tach the whole time, I may have run it up to 5000rpms a few times in first gear going up a steep hill because the engine did not have the power to do it in second and I just wanted to get to the top of the hill, I had a passenger one time, when I got to 5000rpms, the guy looked at me like I was crazy.

The Z24 has way more power, but for what you get out of that conversion, it doesn't seem worth it, as there are better engines out there that take the same effort with a better result.

I can't even imagine driving for that long at that high of RPM's, specially in first haha I'm definitely trying to get used to the hum/loudness of this engine. It is y daily driver so I'm trying to get some days off in a row so I can go forward with a swap. Is there any website or anywhere I can find the hybrid engines? Like the L series and Z series combos.

I have the same truck in a regular cab. It does seem to take off slow, but once it gets going it moves! It's just way it was designed I guess. America was still in the smog a vehicle to death stage, and a fuel crisis. While it was made in Japan, they still had to comply with our standards. Hell, compared to my first car, a 76 Chevy Monte Carlo with auto and a heavily smogged 305 this truck goes "ludicrous speed!"

I feel the same way about the truck, the acceleration is slow but once it's going it picks up pretty good. I just feel like my 3rd gear is where it slows down immensly until the engine gets up in the RPM range. I'm getting more comfortable with getting the engine up in the RPM's. I got a tach today so this will add some peace of mind to my driving.

The truck just came with 2 antenna's. I have no clue why, and yes there is a dent under the passenger door. The previous owner didn't know how it had that dent, and I have no clue either. It's in a weird spot so the best guess I have is someone must of tried to jack the truck up from there.