74 620 Wiring Harness Question

Kirden

Hey guys, I have some pretty well fubared wiring under the dash in my 74 620. I have access to a mint condition cab harness for a 75 620. I know the engines are different (L18 vs L20) as well as many other parts. Will under dash harness work on my truck or would I be better off just rewiring the parts of my harness that have been modified (fubared)?

Side note to self and other looking at older vehicles, try not to get one off years with unique parts to that body style unless you like digging through all kinds of information to figure out what works...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter about being one-year engine. The 1975 harness is different from the 1976 and they used the same engine. In the same year, auto and manual dash harnesses are different.

Generally speaking starting in the 1970s the wiring changed a lot.

I would repair what is damaged.

iiiiiiiiiiiiii say fuck both of those old harnesses and re-do the whole damn thing with brand new wires

Haha, I would love to and hope to do that in the future, but for now I have one weekend and limited funds to clean up this nest of bad wiring from the PO. I also have to install my new relays for lows and starter (don't have one for highs, picking it up tomorrow).

I saw some really bad ass wire one a thread before but I can't remember where. It was all in flex tubing and had this massive firewall connector/disconnect. That is what I really would like to do once I get the funds.

I am going to strongly suggest you try to take the wiring back to as close to stock as you can.  Datsun actually did a pretty good job of designing the wiring on these trucks.

If you have stock wiring, and you have a problem we can help you.  If you have some non stock wiring, none of us will know how to help, other than a few basic items.

• Like 1

I plan to wire it back to stock schematic, I just want to use that flex tube wrapped wire to do it. The PO shredded the stock wire trying to splice in the stereo and removing a ton of stuff from the truck. Once I get some good wire I will have to sit down with the book and make a day/weekend out of redoing everything. The reason I liked the flex wrapped wire is it seems really simple, and I loved having a quick disconnect coupler in my old integra for pulling the engine, makes pulling the engine easy cause you just remove the gorunds, disconnect the coupler and pull the engine.

The end goal is try to get all the circuits back to stock wiring with only the two headlight relays and the starter relay added in for now, then upgrade the alt, then worry about radio, power locks, DZ-start, and alarm. If I get the flex wire, cool deal, if not, atleast all the wire will be new and connections will be clean.