Rebuilt wiper motor

Stitebunny

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try to take it apart, clean the old grease out of it, and put new grease back in, especially in the worm gearbox.  worst case scenario, you get a new one from rock auto. 

This is the wiring on a 521 wiper and washer system.

521WiperWires.jpg

This works for a 521 wiper motor.  There is a chance the 510 wiper motor is wired the same way.  You need to check that for yourself.

Apply positive power to the blue wire with a red stripe.

Ground (connect to negative) the blue wire.  Motor should run fast speed.

Disconnect the blue wire, and ground the blue with white stripe wire.  The motor should run on low speed.

Have you thought about the mazda wiper motor swap ( from 84-88 mazda 626) ? I got one to swap into my 510, i havent done it yet but it looks super simple to do and is much more powerful / faster than even a rebuilt original

There is a good article on DQ about it.

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2011/08/tech-how-to-mazda-wiper-motor.html

Thanks guys.  I did pull it apart and it looks pretty good and clean.  It's from a car with 78k miles, so not too much use.  I'm wondering if maybe it's not the motor and I have a voltage drop somewhere in the circuit.  I ran it on the bench on both speeds, (thanks for the diagram) and it seemed to run okay.  I'll give it a little cleaning and some grease and check the power and grounds when I put it back in. 

I have heard about the Mazda mod, but that site crashes IE everytime I try and go there.

I do not know for sure where the ground point is.

There are three wire harnesses on a 521.  The engine room harness, the cab or dashboard harness, and the bed harness.

the engine room harness goes into the cab, behind and alongside the glovebox.  There are several multipin connectors there.  There is one leg of the cab, or dash harness goes back in to the engine compartment, and this is the connector for the wiper motor.

There are some ground wires that attach to the right inner fender, under one of the voltage regulator screws.  I suspect this may be the ground point for the dashboard, and the wiper motor, but I am not sure.  I am not willing to take a good 521 engine room harness apart just to find out were the wires go,

Again, all this explanation is for a 521.  There will be differences for a 510 harness.