Prophet1012's 1982 B310 project

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The low power A14 is superior in fuel economy at makes more HP below 5000 rpm.

Thats not as bad i guess, the most thing i am interested in is the difference between a12 and 14 when it comes to low rpm torque and acceleration :D

Best way to identify is to remove the valve cover and read the two casting numbers. You need to retorque the head gasket anyways, and adjust the valves too.

By valve covers are you referring to the top cover? If that is the case it can be done in no time hopefully.

I will post some pictures of the lot i bought and an inventory of some sort xD

You understood me wrong lad, i have a complete a14, but it came from a voilet and soem voilets in europe (the gl versions) had economical engine ie wasted less fuel, but also generated less hp. I was worried that i got the less powered engine and asked for z"how to identify which engine i got". They told me to check the head casting, and when i removed the topcover the casting was h75, so i now know it is the "normal" a14 xD. Also a12gx in malta (europe) is unoptainabable i suppose, even a14 is ultrarare, in fact i only know of another a14 powered b310 and he brought it from italy not from malta

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

hi lads its been a very long time since my last post and a lot of things happened to the project. first thing first, i decided to turbo the a12. already got the small turbo for it, the manifold is being done as i write, bought some insurance with regards to the head (valve rocker collars, gx springs spring, seat and retainers) (haven't decided if i NEED lightweight pushrods, being only 0.5grams lighter than standard). I have low compression head, which a friend of mine told me it is safer to use with a turbo (don't know really why) than high compression head, this week i will have to take it out and face it (re-machine it flat) and install a new headgasket (it overheats i push the throttle a bit more than usual (average of 80km/hr). my target really is 7.5 to 9 psi from this a12 build)

I have too many question though and i would REALLY appreciate if somebody can answer them. I have 2 major concerns

1. Do i need to do something to the distributor? while visiting the 1200 forum i read that the mechanical of vacuum advance (not sure) goes hey wire when you are under boost or you let go of the throttle. if that is the case what is there to do
  2. Giving enough fuel to the engine for the turbo not to lean out. as i said i won't give more than 9 psi to the engine (i don't want to blow a 32 year old engine to smithereens), is there a fuel pump that you know it is enough for such expectations? i already know that the turbo i bought off a 1ltr diesel charade is capable of such PSI (p.s. i know i have to seal/redirect the oil intended for the use of the turbo on a diesel engine, they refer to them as carbon seal here)

I intend to make a blow-through setup not suck-through as i want an intercooler (i'd like the engine no to go too hot)

Finally i know i would be better off with a bigger engine but first off of all in Malta there are very strict regulation on change of engines and secondary (i think more important that the first haha) is that there is no other a12 turbo in Malta, and i wish to be the first or only one to do it. having said that until I deal with the two concerns mentioned above it will not be possible, especially the one regarding the distributor

Good on ya. A12 stock turbo'd can make 160HP. With stock block and A14 oval port head.

I have low compression head

There are no low compression heads for the A-series engine. Compression is controlled by the piston dish -- unlike

Datsun L-series engines which have different compression heads. Thre are open chamber and close chambers both have same compression ratio.

* Do i need to do something to the distributor? while visiting the 1200 forum i read that the mechanical of vacuum advance (not sure) goes hey wire when you are under boost or you let go of the throttle. if that is the case what is there to do

I believe that is not true. The mechanical advance is a standard governor type, and is not affected by throttle position or vacuum/boost levels.

With a turbo, the spark advance needs to be limited. What you can do is simply retard the distributor. Or modify the mechanical advance. Or best yet install a spark retard system (electronic ignition controller).

• Like 1

* Giving enough fuel to the engine for the turbo not to lean out. as i said i won't give more than 9 psi to the engine (i don't want to blow a 32 year old engine to smithereens), is there a fuel pump that you know it is enough for such expectations? ... blow-through setup

You will need a fuel pump capable of the standard carburetor fuel pressure (3.5 psi) + the 9 psi of boost. Get a 'rising rate' regulator so at idle it puts out 3.5 psi. The carburetor needs special seats to withstand the high fuel pressure.

thanks for the great help ggzilla. maybe i got it wrong with regards to the mechanical advance. I may have misunderstood the 1200 forum a little. this is a direct quote igot from the forum:

• Set initial timing at 3 degrees
  • In the distributor, weld the advance slots partially to limit mechanical advance

what does this quote suggest apart from the initial timing which is very easy to do.

I believe that is not true. The mechanical advance is a standard governor type, and is not affected by throttle position or vacuum/boost levels.

With a turbo, the spark advance needs to be limited. What you can do is simply retard the distributor. Or modify the mechanical advance. Or best yet install a spark retard system (electronic ignition controller).

so what i need to do is to retard the mechanical advance to 3 degrees instead of 8 degrees and check if it pings? i'll look into a spark retard system, maybe they are not super expensive. 

• Set initial timing at 3 degrees
  • In the distributor, weld the advance slots partially to limit mechanical advance
what does this quote suggest apart from the initial timing which is very easy to do.

It suggests limiting the amount of mechanical advance. Under heavy boost no engine can survive with a lot of advance.

Read up on how they modify Chevrolet Small Block mechanical advance as the welding method is identical.

i apologize if i ask too many questions, but as i said no one did it malta (as far as i know) and there is no detailed tutorial on how to turbo an a12.

So far i came to the conclusion that i need to buy these things:

• 14 psi fuel pump (stock pump being 3.5 psi and 9 psi of boost i will give to the engine)
  • rising rate fuel regulator ( so i can set up idle and full trottle fuel requirements)
  • another electronic ignition convertion kit, as the first one failed me. 
  • a spark retarder (don't really know which one)

The carburetor needs special seats to withstand the high fuel pressure.

What are these special seats?

Yes, 9 psi is considered more than a light boost. 5 psi is handled by most stock carbs and stock compression and needs no intercooler.

The stock A12 including stock head gasket can take 15 psi, but needs limited spark and extra rich fuel. Same as any engine.

A spark retard system is not needed. What is needed is to limit the mechanical advance. Same as any engine.