Rattles gone! thanks to all that helped out!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/jgong9609/1971%20Datsun%20510%204%20door/?action=view¤t=D2712B2F-CABB-49E5-ADEF-AC0CA608BEAA-9272-000010F4475C1F95.mp4]http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/jgong9609/1971 Datsun 510 4 door/?action=view¤t=D2712B2F-CABB-49E5-ADEF-AC0CA608BEAA-9272-000010F4475C1F95.mp4[/url]

sorta does sound like it might be something loose in the exhaust. what do you guys think?

The car wasn't running in that video so how were you getting it to make the sound? Still sounds like a weld/heatshield loose. With the engine cold, I would start on the mani and try to pull on pipes where all the pieces are welded. You said you didn't have any heat sheilds right? Even if you just have 1 on the mani it could be vibrating/broken loose at the bottom. That would sound like it's coming from the tranny. Make sure you have at least a 1/4 inch between the pipe and anything else. It could be something as simple as a bolt loose from the mani to the downpipe (however I doubt that). I would go over the entire pipe first, visually and physically, then do like Wayno said with the car running, try to immobilize the vibrating pipe with something i.e. shoe, crowbar, high temp gloves. Report your findings

I was kicking the pipe to make it shake. and I don't have heat shields externally but I think we may have knocked something loose internally in the header. the plug in the egr fitting was hitting my steering box so we cut it smaller and cranked it down in the threads. I'm thinking there may have been a small baffle in the pipe that we pushed down into the runners and is now stuck at the collector rattling around. this would definitely trick me into thinking front case because the collector on the header is right next to the front case.

as for down pipe bolts as Wayno observed there are none. the exhaust is welded up completely from header to muffler. so if it is something in there I'm gonna be cutting it out. I'm gonna run it today and try to immobilize it as well as try to use my stethoscope to locate where exactly the rattling object is so I can cut it out