Rattles gone! thanks to all that helped out!

edit 2: got rid of it. the egr cap that I thought we'd tightened far enough to break something off into the pipes had simply worked itself loose and was rattling in its threads. tightened it and tac welded it in to prevent this happening again. someone did mention it almost sounded like an exhaust leak.

edit: the cars home now but I'm still real confused. if anyone would be willing to come help out it would be greatly appreciated. I don't really have any money to repay anyone right now but I have a bunch of Datsun parts I don't really need. or I can return the favor and help out with your project(s) if you need it. if anyone's local and can/is willing to come by and check it out call/text me and I'll give you my address

I've got a rattling sound in m engine bay. I can't figure it out...sounds sorta like a timing chain rattle but it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the engine more than the front. (KA-e)

if anyone can come help with some extra eyes/ears/knowledge or if anyone could help tow me back into Marin or if anyone has a trailer I can borrow to tow back to Marin (my dads car has a tow hitch so u don't have to waste gas)

story is I'm supposed to be moving back to slo today (I go to school down there) and I'm only 1hr into the 4hr drive. I don't want to hurt the car any more so I'm trying to turn back and get the car to my dads house in Marin.

if anyone can help reply or call/text me I'm on 19th at Vicente

415-2three3-zero854 (sorry for the funky format. trying to avoid spam bots)

-jimmy

forgot to mention, it's still running/driving. I'm just afraid I'll do damage if I keep going/drive it home

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

checked underneath. seems to new nothing there.

from underneath it almost sounds like something's going on in the bellhousing (technically "front case" but same thing) but I'm not sure what it could be if that's the case. the clutch, flywheel, TOB, and pilot bushing are all new (<2000 miles on them, even less than that for the TOB and pilot bushing) so I would hope none of those are busted and bouncing around in there. I don't have a dust cover/boot on the clutch fork however....hopefully nothing got in there....

then again I went with XTD which is an eBay brand so maybe it is something wrong with the clutch...I may have gotten what I paid for on this one. hopefully not though because I did look up a bunch of reviews on XTD and they seemed like everyone that said not to use them hadn't actualy tried them and the people that did try em said they liked them (I remember more than one person comparing them to act clutches and saying they were more pleased with XTD than act so who knows

Does it rattle when you push the clutch in and have it in any gear?

the rattle is independent from the clutch, vehicle speed and it's only slightly affected by engine speed. aka it rattles in neutral at idle, in gear moving/not moving clutch in/out

it really sounds like something's broken somewhere and bouncing around. either in the front case of the tranny or the bottom of the block...either way this isn't looking good :/

You see if it is in gear with the clutch pedal pushed in, the imput shaft of the transmission is not turning, if the noise is still there, then it is not likely the tranny, if the noise quits, then it is the tranny and you need to quit running the engine before the front of the transmission comes apart, if it has not come apart already.

okay so I read your second post (I was typing my response when you posted it) and I'm thinking that may have been the case....it sounds like something's loose in the front case and if it was the tranny bearings then I drove about an hour maybe 45 minutes into SF the front cover inside the front case may have come apart while I was driving and is now bouncing around in there

but if that were the case wouldn't I have gear oil leaking into the front cover/bellhousing area and not only cause my clutch to slip (which it isn't) but also leak gear oil onto the ground? (I don't have any bolts holding the bottom of the dust plate to the tranny so it's not like it's sealed up there

yes it rattles at idle with the clutch in and the tranny in gear. just checked that means its not the the front tranny bearings? is that right?

If it is still making noise with the clutch in and in gear, then it likely is not the tranny unless some bearings came out of a broken front cover and are hitting the flywheel, but I suspect if it were doing that, the noise would be terrible.

This is not an auto, correct?

Have you had the transmission out recently?

okay so I read your second post (I was typing my response when you posted it) and I'm thinking that may have been the case....it sounds like something's loose in the front case and if it was the tranny bearings then I drove about an hour maybe 45 minutes into SF the front cover inside the front case may have come apart while I was driving and is now bouncing around in there but if that were the case wouldn't I have gear oil leaking into the front cover/bellhousing area and not only cause my clutch to slip (which it isn't) but also leak gear oil onto the ground? (I don't have any bolts holding the bottom of the dust plate to the tranny so it's not like it's sealed up there

If the front cover were broken from a bearing exploding, then you are correct, it would likely be leaking gear oil.

There is so much that needs to be checked, and that is hard to do with a computer.

You have oil in the engine, and it is a rattle, not a squeal like a throw out bearing going away, correct?

Did you use a torque wrench to put the flywheel bolts on, or an impact wrench?

A couple guys have had their flywheel bolts come loose recently.

If the front cover were broken from a bearing exploding, then you are correct, it would likely be leaking gear oil.

okay I guess I can rule that out then because the only leak I have is motor oil from my drain plug (I need a new crush washer for it)

Dang... this is why I would not do such a roadtrip in a 40+ year old car with no AAA. Good luck getting to your destination buddy. 

yeah. I've done this same drive twice before, along with an equal distance trip to JCCS in long beach from slo. broke down the first 2 times (first time I was able to fix everything roadside) but the last time (when I drove from slo to Marin for winter break) it went without a hitch. usually my dad follows me in his Honda with all our tools and some parts but since last time went fine we thought this would be a good time to stop using 2 cars worth of gas every time I go to/from school lol. and I do have AAA. but it would be a $160 tow. my dads currently coming to pick me up and were going to grab a uhaul trailer because that's about $60 not $160 lol.

at any rate anyone with any ideas I still need to figure out what's going on here so I can get to school. classes start a week from today :/

There is so much that needs to be checked, and that is hard to do with a computer.

You have oil in the engine, and it is a rattle, not a squeal like a throw out bearing going away, correct?

Did you use a torque wrench to put the flywheel bolts on, or an impact wrench?

A couple guys have had their flywheel bolts come loose recently.

yup. checked the oil before I left

no it doesn't sound like a squealing TOB. and the TOB is a 1-2 month old beck arnley part so it should have plenty of life left

and I used a torque wrench on the flywheel bolts not an impact wrench. torqued to s13 specs (105ft lbs if memory serves me)

and yes it is definitely a rattle...sounds like metal on metal if that helps at all

Dang... this is why I would not do such a roadtrip in a 40+ year old car with no AAA. Good luck getting to your destination buddy. 

I don't have AAA, never have, and I only needed to be towed home once ever, and that was because of one of them stupid dogleg 5 speed transmissions out of a 200SX, they are not a truck transmission, and should not be in a truck, unless you want to be towed home someday of course.

Possibly check your motor mounts, one might have broken? Im sure it would rattle more but you never know. Maybe also the dust shield between the trans an the engine if your trans wasn't tightened all the way. If there ls no boot on the clutch fork can you shine a light in there and see if there's something in there??