411 differentials

Johnlorio

I am trying to sort out a noise in my differential in my 411 wagon, and I have a couple of questions the community may be able to answer.

The parts catalog shows the same differential gear carrier used in the roadster and the 1.6 l 411 . Will a roadster gear carrier bolt into the 411 axlle (i have a 1.3 l but would like to upgrade). What is the Nissan label for the differentials used (hr160?). Would the diff or gear case from a 510 wagon be the same ? What differential did Nissan put in the 510?

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 1.3 has a h145/150. i just gave a good centre away to someoen that would sell it or give it to you. the roadster uses an h190, same as the sss 411. the 510 wagon uses a h190 but its wider, the centre is desirable tho, aluminum case with 3.89 gears. the roadster one is a aluminum with 4.11 i think. im not sure on the width of a roadster diff. prolly closer than a 510 wagon. the wagon one is 3-4 inches wider i think

sorry i confused the 2. i thought the h145/150/160 all shared the same size housing where the chunk goes in. well the diffs i have are all 411 and 510 wagon. the diff i gave away was from a 65 410. it was a alloy housing, 4.11 gears seemed to be in good condition

I have a "clunk" from my differential when taking off from being stopped. It looks to me that the problem is too much slop in my side gears. Unfortunately, Nissan shows the thrust washers as NLA. This surprises me, as they are the same thrust washers as the 200SX with the H165. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on alternate thrust washers? The rear end rebuild guys I've talked to all basically hang up the phone when I say "1966 Datsun". 

I was, of course, just logging on to ask Erichwaslike if he had a good one. Obviously, I was a couple days too late on that one. 

Jesse. 

i can check and see if i have any other stuff laying around. ive got one thats welded that i could take apart(cut) or there is one in my current project thats getting a irs swap so ill have a complete axle from a j13 car up for sale.... ill keep an eye out for em in the jy too

Looking closer at the parts catalog I think what I have is a 38300-14300. Which is what is listed for a wlut411 which is a lhd 1300 cc 4 speed wagon. It computes to a 4:11 ratio (37:9) and has 8 bolt holes (I miscounted when I looked under my car it was dark) which would make it a H165 apparently and not a H190. Thanks Erich and community.

Okay, so the 1300 model has the H165A differential. I'm wondering why I can't just swap in an entire H165B center section from a newer car, like a '79/'80 200SX. 

Every indication is that that the only sticking point would be axle splines. Other posts here on ratsun seem to indicated that both H165 A and B have 23 splines...

But, there is silence on axle diameter. Worse, there is a single mention on the 1200 site that the spline counts are the same, but the angles differ: 60° for the A and 90° for the B. 

My problem is worn side gears, so even if I could swap them into the newer diff, I wouldn't be getting myself to a better place. 

What does the group have to say about all this? 

Best,

Jesse. 

Edited by jfbrink