Front strut rod to top plate fitment

Laecaon

So I have had an issue, and now after having multiple brands, and car parts under the car, it seems I must be doing something wrong...

So you know how the strut rod is keyed, as in 1 flat spot on the end to prevent it from spinning when tightening/loosening the nut?

And how the top plate is keyed alike?

Well that is where my problem lays.

When I first assembled my zx struts on my car, I was using a oem zx insert, and a 510 top hat.

I then switched out my top hats to the zx ones, so now I am running all oem zx stuff.

And finally, I am now running zx top hats, and tokico illumina zx strut inserts.

My problem, is that the fit is not tight enough. The keying barely grabs, and I often end up spinning the strut rod. I have had to resort to grabbing the strut rod with vise grips to prevent them from spinning (I only did this when I was removing the oem inserts). And now I cant get the nuts tight enough. They are nylocks, but they come undone over time. I really have only had a problem on the passenger side.

Is there another piece? am I missing something?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Illumina struts are probably made to fit a variety of cars. They don't fit tight.

sigh.

So I have had an issue, and now after having multiple brands, and car parts under the car, it seems I must be doing something wrong...

It has had an issue oem inserts too. ZX inserts with ZX top hats, from the same car! And no they are not made for a variety of cars, but solely the ZX and the 510.

I do remember now that my 510 strut nuts required a different size socket than the ZX ones did...

So this is a ZX insert in a 510 top plate thing. not sure what to really call it.

There is considerable play in this, and this is what I remember it looking like in all the combos listed above.

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Now I did check my car when I got home, and it doesnt appear the nut is loose... so maybe this thread can die... but its still odd to me.