Driver side blinker not working, blinker indicator always on.

1972 510, 4 door

Original L16/ 3 speed auto, matchbox dizzy, electric choke removed (other than that, all electrical is intact and unmolested)

Car has been at the above state for a good period of time, I haven't changed anything recently to bring about this problem.

The story:

The car has always had slow blinkers, I've learned to deal with it. On the way to work one morning about 2 weeks ago, I noticed my driver side blinker to be non-functional. When I signal left, the dash light (blinker, left) would illuminate, but stay solid until I turned the signal off. Didn't troubleshoot for a week.

A week after noticing this, my left blinker dash light started to always be dimly lit up if my running or headlights were on. It would light up brighter when I signal left, but still would not "blink."

I've noticed that my driver side running light lit up much dimmer than the passenger. (Fronts) even when I switched the two bulbs.

What I've done so far-

Searched for similar instances, no luck.

Switched right and left blinker bulbs (front & rear)

Checked fuses, cleaned contact points.

Switched blinker fuse with known good fuse.

Wiggled/snugged up battery ground.

Tapped on relays and voltage regulator.

Toggled the living hell out of my blinker switch.

Any ideas? Where might I find some wiring grounds that might have something to do with my front running/blinker lights and/or blinker switch?

Thanks in advance, I'm going to go swap out a voltage reg. not sure if it might have any relevance but its a quick guess and check.

Casey.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow the Black wire on side marker light. It should go to a good solid ground.

The front mounted turn signal should ground through the mounting screws. Be sure they are clean and tight.

Won't be the regulator or all lights would be affected. Won't hurt to tighten the mounting screws to the body though. One of the volt regulator mounting bolts also has the ground wire from the alternator, the head light relay and the front side marker lights. This could be loose or broken wire.

Removed blinker housing and gave it a quick scuff with some steel wool, tightened up snug and noticed the bulb was much brighter. Dash light turned off, and now the blinker works- extremely slow. Ill clean the ground better tomorrow, as well as all the other grounds on the car. Maybe I can fix my slow blinkers for good! Thanks for the help!

Slow blinkers on one side indicates a burnt-out bulb (one of the three dash/front/rear) or an underperforming bulb (like an LED bulb).

Or a 35amp alternator that has lived a long life. When I put in a 60 amp alt, my blinkers sped up to a constant speed no matter my rpm.

You can also replace the flasher with an electronic one that flashes the same speed regardless of the load. All new cars have them so I just grab them from wrecking yards. The only drawback is if you blow a lamp the flasher does not slow down or stop giving you a warning.

Erm new cars dont tell you when bulbs are out?

Take a blinker bulb out. Blinker will blink twice as fast. Same with putting a LED bulb in. Its a common issue with LEDs in new cars.

My 01 Jetta would rapid blink if a blinker bulb went out.

Same problem for me but the blinkers are inconsistent (random blinker speed from normal to slow) and occasionally stop blinking like how the op described. I've cleaned and restored the housings front and rear, replaced the blinker relay and pulled and cleaned the indicator switch with no improvement. One thing I have noticed is that the voltage drops noticeably (1 to 1-1/2 v) while the blinker is active, any ideas? I think this may be related to the op's problem.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...