Maguire's Ultimate Compound: TESTED (photos)

so I have had plans to do body/paint on my wagon since the day I bought her; but I finally got fed up with it's tired, oxidized paint, and having to stare at it out my window every day.

I moved across the country recently into an apartment (no garage), but I figured I could probably do something to improve it's appearance.

Without a buffer, I headed down to the auto parts store and picked up a 4.00 tub of turtle wax rubbing compound, and a 10.00 bottle of maguires ultimate.

I spent a few hours hand applying the heavier, more abrasive turtle wax; it improved the shine, but not nearly enough to warrant the amount of hand sanding I did to apply it. I took the 210 down to the car wash, gave her a wash, and headed back home to do the maguires....

here's a photo I snapped out my front door a couple days ago; of the tired, old paint. If you look along the base of the doors, you can see how the paint that so luckily avoided the sun remained much more intact...

tumblr_mg2pyklNXh1r7f4cso6_500.jpg

And, after....

tumblr_mg2pyklNXh1r7f4cso1_500.jpg

I definitely could have spent more time buffing it out; and with a buffer, it could have been even better, but for a 14 dollar total investment, and 4 hours, I couldn't be happier.

tumblr_mg2pyklNXh1r7f4cso2_500.jpg

the 700$ goon definitely has some irreparable damage from the sun; but the patina of the old car doesn't look too bad, once it's shined up. Hard to justify a paint job that costs more than the car...

tumblr_mg2pyklNXh1r7f4cso3_500.jpg

the new finish presents the 30 years of shopping cart dings, previously hidden by it's matte, neglected exterior...

tumblr_mg2pyklNXh1r7f4cso4_500.jpg

still need to strip the clear off those lips....

tumblr_mg2pyklNXh1r7f4cso5_500.jpg

as never having tried the Maguire's ultimate before; as far as bang for your buck goes, this is the best 14 dollars i've ever spent improving my vehicle's appearance. I highly suggest it to anyone who's considering a repaint, and don't want to shell out half the price of your old datto.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be an old favorite, there was a time it seemed all the good threads mentioned it. I dont have factory paint. I believe Icehouse and Redeye have used it...

Oh and I dislike nu finish, except it makes my car easy to hose off.

Someone on here was making some reproductions? Looked really good too. :thumbup:

I'd just say screw it and get some of these.   B)

Untitled-1.jpg

yes please! i hunt ebay for those daily. and for the "sunny california" rear emblem. i'm thinking of having one made....