ignition coils and pictures!

Amazing, did that ggzilla, contacts are clean n secure... Upon cranking this tie though, I heard a buzzing like a stuck relay will do... Passenger side firewall under dash, I believe it is a fuel pump relay, soo I think I need to pull that and test for continueity?!

I guess thats the problem when find these gems that have been sittin.... Gotta go through it all! I shall overcome! New windshield and carpet kit will hopefully be here this week! More to come!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't fry a module from not having the ground connected. It's like a car not running without gas.

The grounding of the dizzy is paramount. There is a power wire TO it but ground return is assumed through the mounting bolts and dizzy shaft. Make sure it is bolted down securely. Run your own dedicated ground wire to it from a valve cover bolt or something.

Well if the engine is turning over, there are only two more things to check:

1. Fuel. Does the choke close 100% when you pump the pedal once? Does the carb squirt fuel down the main barrel when you open the throttle. If yes, it is enough the start on fuel

2. Spark. Do you have spark when the engine is cranking over?

Alright, yes I do have the almighty spark! Infact swapped fuel filter and it fired up ran and then shut off, got it to start three more times and idle for a second.... Then..... Nada.. Itll turn over, and yes I see the choke close when I hit the pedal..... When I turn the key on I a load clicking coming from the carb itself, tap tap tap tap, verry rapid.... And I also hear a relay under passenger side dash clicking....

I do smell fuel so I assume its getting to the carb, the sightglass shows fuel, roughly three quarters of the way full on sightglass...

I thought id try to start it by pouring a little fuel in carb, buuuut no go...

So I believe in the morning ima gona pull the fuel pump and clean up the mounting surface and ground connections and go thru bumper to bumper and look at wiring and grounds.....

Like I said, ran flawlessly couple weeks ago, and now nada, know it isnt the motor!

I need this back on the road, like yesterday! The suv is breaking the bank jus to go.to work n come home, alost 250. A week in gas!

Ima have to lookin into fuel squirting in main bowl tomorrow..

This thing shut down after turning around in a culdesack and hasnt ran since.........

Wish me luck, know im close!

Thanks for all of the input!

Actually, I mixed up which truck this was- you have 3, and of course the thread title is that it's the 720.  So the 720 might have a relay that runs the idle cut solenoid- possibly the ignition relay..  But it's an '84 or 85 with the feedback carb, right?  I don't have a wiring diagram, but those have relays for everything.  Rapid clicking relays are USUALLY either a bad relay, or one that's not getting enough voltage (partial signal voltage) which is usually wiring connector corrosion related.  Your going to need to figure out which relay is making the racket- but you can figure out what on the carb is clicking by holding a long screwdriver up to your ear and touching the end on any of the solenoids.  The one making the racket will sound the loudest.

It won't normally start with the choke 1/2 open.

> do smell fuel so I assume its getting to the carb ... I need this back on the road, like yesterday!

So stop assuming! Take the lide off the air cleaner and 1) look for a pump of gas (use a flashlight) when you open the throttle 2) if choke doesn't close all the way when you open the throttle, that's a problem!

Thuroughly disgusted! Absolutely gets fuel to the carb, and the choke closes had it runnin a few times thismorning.... But ran very poorly... Would idle n sputter wether u gave ir gas or not....

I decided to check for spark again.... Inserted plug into wire and ground it to no avail.... No spark jump at all.. Wether I tried cylinder one or cylinder 4 intake or exhaust.... Ive got 12 volts goin into the positive of each coil ive been checking, grounds, fuel, relays everything..... Ignition module?

> No spark jump at all ... Ive got 12 volts goin into the positive of each coil

Did you recently replace the ignition switch? Some switches which bolt in will not power the coils while cranking.

> I heard a buzzing like a stuck relay will do... Passenger side firewall under dash, I believe it is a fuel pump relay, soo I think I need to pull that

What did you find out about that? It might be a wiring problem, a bad connection or miswired. Probably the relay is OK.

Extremely unlikely the BOTH modules would go bad at the same time.

Sooo I believe the relay under the dash on the pass. Side was the fuel pump relay... I found the windshields been a leaker for a minute.... Soo I scabbed some parts from my other 720 and sure enough that relay was bad....

No new ignition Here.... Or wiring at all... Swappin a replacement dizzy , with a new cap, rotor, wires abd plugs right now..... All bran new... as well as ignition module!

I love chasin things out n makin em new! We will overcome! Thats what happens when somethin sits tho! Ish goes bad! I see the brain under the drivers seat, green light with key on so im sure thays good?

The water dammage is limmited to the passenger floorboard and kick pannel, sooo aside from the relay I think were good there! Hopin!... I dont see anything else in the book there I need to be concerned with..... Im hopin the dizzy will put us back in our place!

Now if only I could post pics from mobile! I have no home computer!

Now! Back at it!

Soooooo stoked! Dizzy swap with ignition mod, cap, rotor and wires! Ruuuuuns loke a champion! Turnkey soooo sweeet! Ordered new windshield and carpet! Spindles and blox! Shes goin doin! New daily driver! Taken pix and ready to post sooon as I finger out how! I appreciate aaaaalllllll of you datsun Nissan freaks! Did everybit of what u said, then some! Soooo stoked - THANK YOU ALL!

• Like 2

I feel there was a plethora of things... But attacked it n killed it! Soooo happy n grateful! Now on to the rest! Windshield and carpet! Already wiring for Video and audio and built a box for 2 12's in a tuned port enclosure..... More to come! Pictures are essential.... Need to get some uploaded!

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo still stoked! put bout 1,500 on this thing since we streeted it and have zero problems  until yesterday...... outa tha blu we were stuck in traffic and all of a sudden the idle jus kicked up to roughly 1,500 rpms....  made it home... but at every stop light the rpms jus flew thru the roof.... cant find any vacumn leaks and adjusting the timing doesnt seem to make a difference.... is there a high idle vavle or something else i should look @?? or is it the wonderful factory carb that needs to be replaced with webber???

i drove it to seattle this a.m., and it swallowed the gas up.... what usually takes me a eigth of a tank used a half tank this morning :crying: .....

Appreciate ya all... jus thought if i could  check some stuff off n on before the workday is over that would be good.... dont wanna get burned by overfueling!!!!

Happy Monday!!!!

Sooo taking the day off, not by choice buuuut, lost my alternator thismorning..... Soooo when daylight breaks i gotta got out to my property and scab one from my other 720.... Wondering if that had anything to do with the high idle??? Today will give me some time to check grounds, pull two alternators And install one and meybe fix the drivers door hinges....

Overall i gotta say this pickups been amazing, and has really been a good runner for sitting for soo long.

Jus lil more lovin and we should be dialed and moving on to suspension..rp

Ive got some really great pics i need to get posted , of both trucks but i cant from my phone so ill have to finger out how to upload off my digi cam.....

So I'm curious if there is the variance between an 84 an 85 Nissan 720 alternator?? And I'm also curious if there's a very into the tween California missions no California missions?? I've got an 84 720 with Callie missions I'm hoping to swap that alternator the my 85 which hasn't got California missions... I really hope these are interchangeable they don't have 177 dollars for an alternator today!