Question re Weber carbs and CA smog testing....

BarryA

Did a couple of searches, and didn't come up with any info on this...

Long time ago (about 20 years), I had a 79 620 king cab - original carb (probably Hitachi) went bad, replaced it with a CA smog legal Weber, never had any issues getting it past smog afterwards.

I'm looking for another 620 king cab - most of the trucks that are for sale seem to be turning up in Oregon or Washington & most have Webers installed. From what I understand, pre-1980 vehicles aren't subject to smog checks in the northwest, so presumably those Webers wouldn't be emissions legal in CA.

Since passing the smog check process will be a necessity, I started looking for info on smog legal Webers, and am not finding any indication that they're available - does anyone in CA have direct experience with getting 77-79 620s past the current smog check, and are there any Webers that meet CA ARB standards (assuming all the other emissions hardware is in place)?

I've got a couple of Weber 32/36 units with ARB E.O. tags that came off 74-76 BMW 2002's, but since there don't seem to be any 32/36 carbs being sold as emissions legal for the 620 series, I'm guessing that they probably wouldn't pass visual, even if the truck was running clean.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one of these smog legal kits back in about 1988. The only thing that appeared different to me was the adapter that bolted to the top of it so that you could install a factory air cleaner. This allowed all the little vaccum lines, EGR, and smog pump lines to stay attached to the bottom of the aircleaner housing.

Problem that you might be facing now is that you need the little C.A.R.B. exemption sticker/documentation.

Have you tried contacting RACETEP.com I think they are in california and they deal in webers.

Jason

Got onto the CA ARB (Air Resources Board) web site, went to the section on smog testing and found an area dedicated to non-OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts that have recieved ARB approval and been assigned E.O. (Executive Order) numbers qualifying them as exempt from legislation prohibiting the addition of non-OE emissions parts.

There's a whole list of stuff, including a number of RedLine Weber replacement carb kits for various Datsun/Nissan vehicles. There's a kit listed for the 77-79 620 (K8660) which used the Weber 32/34 DFT 9A - unfortunately, it appears that carb is LONG out of production.

Pearce Manifolds in Gilroy is checking for me to see if there's any version of the DGV that's a legal emissions replacment carb on late 70's 620s - if there is, it'll probably be a 32/36. Checking multiple Weber vendor's web sites (including RedLine's) didn't turn up any emissions legal carb kits for late '70's Datsuns at all, so the odds don't look favorable.

If there's no legal DGV, about the only option will be to install a remanufacturered Hitachi 340 for smog testing, then swap it for a 32/36 or 38/38 for everyday.

Late breaking addition .... just got an e-mail from Top End Performance on this issue, they said the smog legal kits are NLA.

Yes, the 32/34 DFT is long out of production. I have 3 but only was able to get one to function with any reliability (rebuild kits for them are near impossible to find). Big problem with the 32/34DFT is it is naturally reversed, and while it did have a throttle shaft on both sides it ended up with the barrels backwards to the manifold. But it needed no adapter (same pattern as the Hitachi).