New to ratsun. My 72 521.

Better9

Im new to datsuns but Ive always been a fan of classic and european cars. My pass cars were older hatchback civics, mitsu evo9, bmw 2002, bmw e21, bmw e30 and old yamaha and honda bikes. Ive Never been a big fan of trucks but have grown to the practicality of having a truck, so why not get a classic japanese truck. Ive been searching for a pre 1975 datsun truck for a while and after months of searching Ive stumbled upon a 72 521 for $1600. had to drive 400 miles for it though. When I bought it, it had a bad oil pan leak which I thought at first was a quick fix. initially i thought... weld the pan or replace it and slap it back on and its good to go. it turns out the motor mounts were bad. With the engine sagging and the center tie link so close to oil pan, the center tie link, tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm were damaged one way or another . so far I've found replacement parts for everything except for a pitman arm. need help sourcing one out so i can get it on the road. sadly Ive never driven it yet, hence the reason why creating an account here so i can start looking at the classifieds. so why not introduce myself and show my new purchase. I plan to keep it as jdm and as original looking as I can. so thanks for looking and if anyone has any leads on a pitman arm, I would greatly appreciate it. if not its cool, il just keep searching the classifieds, craiglist and ebay. Thanks again and Im excited to be part of the ratsun community. 

photo_1.jpg

photo_1.png

image.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun  B)

Are you in Long beach, Washington or California, from the tile roofs in the back ground, I am now thinking CA.

There was a 521 in the Sherwood Oregon pick and pull last weekend, I can't recall if it had the pitman arm on it.

It is likely that no one will be able to remove that arm without luck and special pullers while on the vehicle.

I do have a complete steering column assembly for $50.00, but it would cost a lot to ship if you live in Long beach, CA.

I live in Vancouver, Washington

wayno

Welcome to Ratsun  B)

Are you in Long beach, Washington or California, from the tile roofs in the back ground, I am now thinking CA.

There was a 521 in the Sherwood Oregon pick and pull last weekend, I can't recall if it had the pitman arm on it.

It is likely that no one will be able to remove that arm without luck and special pullers while on the vehicle.

I do have a complete steering column assembly for $50.00, but it would cost a lot to ship if you live in Long beach, CA.

I live in Vancouver, Washington

wayno

Sorry, yea I'm in california. Im going to give myself another week to find a steering column locally, if not then il take your offer on your steering column and paying whatever to ship it. thanks for your help 

Sorry, yea I'm in california. Im going to give myself another week to find a steering column locally, if not then il take your offer on your steering column and paying whatever to ship it. thanks for your help 

What is wrong with your pitman arm?

They are not delicate pieces of metal, it would take quite a bit to hurt them.

I second with Wayno with the pitman arm,Let me know if you have a problem getting and i will be looking for one for you also.I work at the refinery in Carson and live in corona.Truck looks good first off and second steering components is not hard to find so your in good shape also check out california mini trucks there in Montclare and thats all they have is mini truck parts.Tomorrow is the inland empire Datsun meet in Moreno valley if you want to come and meet some cool guys and gals,and also network the parts you need.Let me know and welcome aboard.

What is wrong with your pitman arm?

They are not delicate pieces of metal, it would take quite a bit to hurt them.

seems to be off a little bit. but I could probably get away with not replacing it but i figure i should replace it since im replacing everything else connected to the center tie link. I was thinking long term, so i dont have any steering issues later. 

Where in cali you located?

These three beuties are here near me at local wrecking yards and im pretty sure all three jave it how hard is it to pull off?

Im in modesto ca

2012-08-06141054.jpg

2012-08-06141152.jpg

1211121331_01.jpg

good amount of 520s and 521s around you, unfortunately im located in socal. i havent look at the junkyards around me yet. i was hoping someone had one off laying around, im starting to think thats wishful thinking. thanks for the help though.

I second with Wayno with the pitman arm,Let me know if you have a problem getting and i will be looking for one for you also.I work at the refinery in Carson and live in corona.Truck looks good first off and second steering components is not hard to find so your in good shape also check out california mini trucks there in Montclare and thats all they have is mini truck parts.Tomorrow is the inland empire Datsun meet in Moreno valley if you want to come and meet some cool guys and gals,and also network the parts you need.Let me know and welcome aboard.

thanks for your help. if you so happen to come across one, and if its not too much trouble, shoot me a message. i would love to come to a future meet once i get my 521 rolling. 

• Like 1
thanks for your help. if you so happen to come across one, and if its not too much trouble, shoot me a message. i would love to come to a future meet once i get my 521 rolling. 

No problem,its every third Saturday of the month at the Portoffino's off of Day street in Moreno valley,a bit of a drive but we have people that come out from Torrance to.Let me know if you need help.